Forums Latest Members

Maintenance of Leather Watch Straps

1. NT931 Dec 25, 2014

hey guys,
    I've never really given much thought to maintaining leather straps - when they went kaput after about 2 years of use, I just changed them.

But now that I've been using those custom short straps, it doesn't make sense financially to keep changing straps. Someone told me that I should be using some leather conditioners / creams to keep the leather supple so they'd last longer, but when I tried googling, there was a bewildering range of options (mostly for shoes) which left me confused.

So I thought I'd ask you guys:
    1. What do you guys do? Do you maintain your watch straps?
    2. If you do, what products have you used before, and how were the results?
    3. Should I use different cleaners / conditioners for different straps - eg. for croc vs ostrich vs calf?

Thanks!

ELV web likes this.
  2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 25, 2014

I would treat them the same as other leather products, shoes etc. :) I guess the products depends on what is wrong. For normal maintainence you can probably use a leather balsam with beeswax and wool wax. If the leather is almost broken or very dry (probably not the typical problem with watch straps, more like harness and saddle problems) you should use leather oil. Lots of products: Belvoir, Gold Quality etc. Not an expert on leather though... ::book::

3. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 25, 2014

I will give my shell cordovan strap som beeswax and lanolin and let you know of the result :)

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 25, 2014

I follow the advice of my sister in law, she is the heir to a leather jacket and shoe business in Spain. Years ago I asked her and she said. "Leather is skin, use skin conditioner. Nivea will do. Just make sure you apply it on broad strokes and cover all the area at the same time so that there are no absorption streaks." And that's what I do. Nivea or any other skin cream.

George.A and citizenrich like this.
  5. ulackfocus Dec 25, 2014

My maintenance schedule:

1) Buy strap
    2) Install strap
    3) Wear strap until it expires
    4) Repeat steps 1 - 3

You get tired of one in a few years anyway.

Jwit, Fritz and Alex_TA like this.
  6. alfanator Dec 25, 2014

Good advise here.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2014

Point 3 of Dennis's list above being the most important. If its cracking badly and you're worried it might break, its time for it to go, if it looks disgusting on the underside, its time for it to go.

Most significantly if when sniffing it the smell of man-stink overpowers the smell of leather its time to go. I've bought some watches with some pretty feral straps on them from time to time.

Fritz likes this.
  8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 25, 2014

Or

1) buy strap
    2) install strap
    3) wear strap till it breaks and watch falls to the ground
    4) repair strap and buy new watch
    5) repeat step 2-4 endlessly

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 25, 2014

Mostly agree with Dennis. However if you're foolish enough to blow a "nickle" on a custom ABP strap try Lexol.
    Before installing: Put a little on the tips of your fore-finger and thumb and rub it in on both sides of each strap.
    Let if dry the brush with a horsehair shoe brush. Use a tooth-pick and clean out the buckle and spring-bar holes.
    Be advised that this with somewhat darken lighter color straps. Also not advised to use on white stitched straps.

10. alam Dec 25, 2014

@NT931

The response to your question probably lies somewhere between the two answers below, with a dash of personal preference; following the steps on Sergio's suggestion will probably buy you some time between steps 2 and 3 on Dennis's maintenance schedule.... :)

11. Alex_TA Dec 26, 2014

I use this onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. Does it help? Not sure.

12. ConElPueblo Dec 26, 2014

You can use a number of different leather products, a Danish upholsterer who was interviewed for an article used nothing but soap flakes for maintaining the 60 years+ Danish classic furniture pieces. The strap will need to be of a decent quality to begin with, however. Also, note that using anything on it will darken it somewhat.

13. NT931 Dec 26, 2014

Thanks guys! Lots of useful suggestions :thumbsup:

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2014

If the strap is in otherwise good condition, but just has a smell to it, try putting it in the freezer for a few days. It will kill the bacteria and reduce the smell considerably. You can place the strap in a plastic bag to keep it away from any food product in the freezer also.

Cheers, Al

Jwit, George.A, dsio and 3 others like this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 26, 2014

Thanks for the freezer tip. That's probably more effective and less degrading than what I've done.

Received an internet auction watch from Portugal. Had a vintage chestnut lizard strap on it that lent itself to the watch's overall good appearance. The strap smelled to high-heaven though. I took it off the watch and left it in the bed of the pickup, on the black bed liner in the sun, for a few days while only driving to the office or making local runs. Cured the strap but the sun might cause fading and deterioration.

16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 26, 2014

Now try the Lexol ;-)

17. whoelse Oct 17, 2016

18. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 17, 2016

nice first post.
    awaking a 2 year old thread and posting spam all in one wack

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 18, 2016

But his example picture shows a sueded watch band when the product says do not use on suede....

20. wsfarrell Oct 18, 2016

I actually prefer the sun, especially if mildew is involved---as it often is on leather watch bands. Freezing, even for extended periods, will not kill the fungi responsible for mildew.