Forums Latest Members
  1. watchstuff Jun 21, 2017

I never really wanted a speedmaster, I liked them, but wasn't bothered. However, constant lurking in here recently has made me want one. Like, massively - and it's annoying!

I recently bought the AT 15,000 bumblebee and I love it. The problem is, I just don't wear it much. It's my third Omega and that may well play a part, but I just enjoy the divers (PO 8500 and SM300MC) that much more.

If I was tempted to sell the AT to potentially help fund a Speedmaster, or even just admit defeat that I don't wear it enough to keep around, where's the best place to do it? eBay and the like or is there anywhere a bit "better"?

Thanks guys

ahartfie and fskywalker like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 21, 2017

I can't help you with your sales question, but I can throw out some more Speedmaster bait :)

IMG_0848_mods.jpg

wavey, ras47, ahartfie and 8 others like this.
  3. sgrossma Jun 21, 2017

AT 15000 is an awesome watch to look at, but for some reason didn't really connect with me on the wrist ever.

Selling on eBay is easy if you don't have a lot of experience selling. Keep in mind ebay and Paypal will take almost 13% in final value fees.
    Make sure to follow rules (only ship to address provided to you by ebay and Paypal and make sure to ship with insurance and signature confirmation.

ras47, Foo2rama and fskywalker like this.
  4. fskywalker Jun 21, 2017

Put it for sale here in the forum. Don't know how popular the Bumble Bee AT is currently, but pretty sure you will get a few hits if the price is reasonable. Spedmasters are great, so the AT - Speedy change seems to be the way to go!

Here some more bait

IMG_5868.JPG IMG_6848.JPG

Edited Jun 21, 2017
  5. sgrossma Jun 21, 2017

One other things to note: There is also a trade off between selling on eBay vs the forums. eBay has a much wider audience and some buyers prefer the added protection that ebay provides, so in some cases, it is possible to sell for higher on ebay... which helps make up for the high fees. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Omegaforums is nice and provides image hosting. Some other forums do not, which adds an extra step in the selling process.

fskywalker likes this.
  6. M'Bob Jun 21, 2017

Excellent. What would be Speedmaster "chum"? Bezels? Bracelets?

Jones in LA and fskywalker like this.
  7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 21, 2017

You'll need moderator dispensation to use the Sales Forum. Best to pm them if that's the route you are thinking of going down. Also, and I'd say this about most watches in the Speedie price bracket - if it's at all possible, get hold of one or two and try them on the wrist. What looks good in a photo may not grab you so much on the wrist.

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 21, 2017

One thing to keep in mind for the Bumble Bee. It is in effect a prototype model, representing Omega's first foray into what would become an obsession with highly anti-magnetic watch movements. After the Bumble Bee came the "master coaxial" designation, then "coaxial master". What I'm saying is that the AT 15.000 Gauss (with its one-of-a-kind caliber 8508 movement) may have some future value as a collector's piece.

IMG_1348_mods.jpg

fskywalker, ras47, jflores and 9 others like this.
  9. sgrossma Jun 21, 2017

Great shot! Almost makes me want to buy one :)

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 21, 2017

I rarely wear my AT, but when I do, it is a treat.

I know you asked about selling, but the enablers here are all about buying.

One speedy leads to two, two to three, etc.

The Gemini 4 (best LE Speedy ever made) is my 2nd speedy. And it led to many more. It does not end. Sorry to tell you.

upload_2017-6-21_7-41-18.png

fskywalker, ras47, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  11. Riviera Paradise Jun 21, 2017

Sorry for posting the same AT photo every time (only decent one I have on file), but I do agree with Jones in LA on the historic value of the AT Bumble Bee (original 8508 15000 Gauss model). I think it looks better on a tan strap and makes for a great summer watch:)

Although it does not get as much wrist time as my other watches, I would not flip it for a Speedy as I already have one...but if I were in a position to choose between the Bumblebee and a Speedy, I do think the Speedy would win.
    20160218_091747.jpg

ras47, jflores, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  12. fskywalker Jun 21, 2017

For reference, on april this one was sold here in the forum (asking price was $2800) on leather band, don't know if yours is on steel bracelet:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...-8508-black-41-5mm-231-12-42-21-01-001.54484/

13. w.finkenstaedt Jun 21, 2017

You mean "Master Chronometer" not "Co-axial Master". [emoji6]

It's a new certification for the industry.

14. nixf6 Jun 21, 2017

Once the speedy bug has bit there is no escape.Ask any member here.

ras47 and Taddyangle like this.
  15. sgrossma Jun 21, 2017

I used to not understand them. Now I have 9 and counting.

ahartfie, ras47, sensui and 2 others like this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 21, 2017

No, I meant what I wrote.

The timeline of Omega's nomenclature for its >15.000 gauss anti-magnetic movements (after the introduction of the Cal.8508 Aqua Terra) is:

master coaxial [chronometer], then coaxial master [chronometer]

IMG_0697_mods.jpg

2017-06-21_12-07-34.jpg

Edited Jun 21, 2017
    ahartfie, ras47 and Ssunnylee24 like this.
  17. jcz5 Jun 21, 2017

I feel the same way. Never thought too much about the speedy until this forum. Waiting for my 60th anniversary, I guess that's a good way to get into the family, no?

18. w.finkenstaedt Jun 21, 2017

You may have meant it, but it's an incorrect statement.

https://www.omegawatches.com/myomega/metas/

To clarify, Omega intends these watches to be identified as Master Chronometers that have the Co-axial escapement. Master Co-axial watches will be known in the future as transitional references.

19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 21, 2017

This discussion brings to light an interesting quandary for Omega, as legally speaking the term "chronometer" identifies clocks and watches that have been tested and certified by the COSC. Which is why I left out the word chronometer when describing Omega's nomenclature for its new line of anti-magnetic movements. Chronometer is a term with a specific, legal meaning, and is not unique to Omega. "Master" and "coaxial" are unique to Omega in its nomenclature for watch movements. (To be clear, all Omega watch movements that are designated as 'master coaxial' or 'coaxial master' chronometers have in fact been tested and certified to the COSC standard).

There is an interesting article on Fratellowatches.com that touches briefly on the potential difficulty of making 'master chronometer' a special designation

https://www.fratellowatches.com/master-chronometer-explained-new-standards-by-omega/

"...you can only use ‘Chronometer’ when a movement has been tested and certified by the COSC. It is a protected name. Whether the combination, ‘Master Chronometer’, is a protected name is not entirely sure (probably there are some legal things pending at the moment)..."

I think it is safe to assume that Omega regrets the awkwardness of its journey from 'master coaxial' to 'coaxial master', and wish they had gone with "coaxial, master chronometer" from the very beginning :)

Edited Jun 21, 2017
  20. w.finkenstaedt Jun 21, 2017

Master Chronometer movements are still tested by COSC for 15 days. I see no problem here.

To be clear, 15 days with COSC as a movement blank (no dial, hands, rotor), then 10 days cased as sold via METAS. That's the process for Master Chronometer watches.

And regardless of copyright issues (Rolex will have to deal with that as well for Superlative Chronometer), they are identified on Omega's website as Master Chronometers, not Co-axial Masters.