Forums Latest Members
  1. watchpatina Feb 13, 2017

Hey everyone!

My first post - want to share a recent find with you all. I think you'll appreciate this one - I know I sure do! A couple weeks ago I was fortunate to purchase this vintage Seamaster from the 62-year-old nephew of its original owner (who passed away a few years ago). The story goes, the nephew found it in a box of his uncle's belongings he was going through to sell (the proceeds to be sent to his aunt who is in her eighties and on a fixed income).

The original owner served as a fireman from 1950-1977. I gather that at some point in the late '50s or early '60s he was promoted to captain. The jump in pay that came with the new leadership role afforded him the opportunity to treat himself to this watch. Why a Seamaster? Not entirely sure, but maybe it had something to do with him also being a diver for the department...

The only thing I've done is Polywatch the crystal a bit. Unfortunately the caseback is too tight to remove with a friction ball, so the reference remains a mystery... I believe it did undergo a service at least once in its lifetime because the hands have been relumed (under ultraviolet light the hands glow more intense for a longer period of time than the hour markers). I think you'll agree that the radium dial is in exceptional, original condition - this watch is a true survivor! All the marks you see are scratches/scuffs in the crystal. The case appears thick to me and unpolished... The bezel rotates fine. Of course, the insert is long gone... I've already sent an email to Aldo...

As of right now I'm planning on sending to STS for service. The crown turns buttery smooth. The hour and minute hands rotate easily, clearing the second hand and each other. However, the watch doesn't run when I attempt to wind it fully or shake it a bit. Hoping it's just a Watch Repair 101 issue from not being worn in who knows how long...

Other than a COA, I'd like the bad green lume job on the second hand rectified. If the original lume underneath can't be salvaged, I'm fine with color-matching it to the hour hand.

If the correct Omega crystal is available, I'll probably swap out the old one.

Enjoy the few photos I've taken. A good friend of mine (and someone I think you guys know - @ChicagoFrog - took most of these shots).

Please chime in with your thoughts. Appreciate any knowledge you have regarding the watch or servicing it. I'll be sure to reply to everyone's comments. Not planning to sell this one. Excited to get it up and running to enjoy :)

Nick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Feb 13, 2017
  2. WatchmakerTheory Feb 13, 2017

Oh wow, what a find! Dial looks fantastic!

Good luck with getting this up and running again; can't wait to see a before-and-after.

watchpatina likes this.
  3. watchpatina Feb 13, 2017

Thanks @WatchmakerTheory! I'll be sure to post photos when it comes back from its much-deserved (and needed) vacation to the spa :)

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Feb 13, 2017

Beautifullll watch. Dibs. If you ever decide to sell.

watchpatina likes this.
  5. boat2dan Feb 13, 2017

OHHHHH Nice! Congrats!

watchpatina likes this.
  6. watchpatina Feb 13, 2017

Haha @Noles_88 the line for this one is long already... Thanks for the love though!

7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 13, 2017

A THIRD POSSIBILTY PERHAPS......

Awesome dial indeed in the 2913, 14755 or (I'm wagering on the 3rd possibility) a 165014-62.

The tell is the center seconds hand. All 2913 and 14755 (1,2,61)had a straight center seconds hand. The OP watch has a tear drop version, the same hand as the Ed White Chrono hand btw.

Only one reference that I know of (and others know more) matches up the early radium 2913/14755 dial, the thin arrow minute hand, dauphine hour hand and the tear drop center seconds .....the 165014-62.

Edit: I forgot about the 14755-62 which is probably identical with the 165014-62. Only difference is the newer reference number system. Anyway, I betting it's a 1962 watch :)

Below are pics of my 165014-62
    IMG_5859.JPG IMG_5860.JPG IMG_5861.JPG IMG_5862.JPG IMG_5863.JPG

Edited Feb 13, 2017
  8. watchpatina Feb 13, 2017

Thanks @gemini4 for the info... you seem to have a good looking one too! (Is your insert original?) I'm still learning about these early straight-lug Seamasters (certainly not enough info about them online compared to Speedys). In my limited research, I've seen a few old for sale ads - and past auction results - with my hand configuration associated with a 14755. I'll have to explore 165.014s - mine could be a later reference... I'll be sure to post a reveal of the caseback when it comes off. I'm happy to add my Seamaster to the mix as a resource for the community.

9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 13, 2017

The 165014-62 bezel (with the funny looking green piper) looks very nice but unfortunately is a reproduction.

watchpatina likes this.
  10. Fost Feb 13, 2017

The second hand was replaced by a tritium drop one on mine (and I am quite happy with that!) So it is also a possibility. Anyway this is a fantastic watch, and if the reference is earlier than 14755-62, you may have the possibility to change the second hand as you can find this hand on eBay for less than 90 euros. Enjoy !

watchpatina likes this.
  11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Feb 13, 2017

I was utterly useless in helping out @watchpatina with this one, other than admiring how gorgeous / honest it is. Finds don't get much better than this though (especially at the price he paid)! ;)

You're in good hands with the SM3oo experts here.

watchknut and watchpatina like this.
  12. micampe Feb 13, 2017

Bang. Nice first post.

watchpatina likes this.
  13. ezinternet Feb 13, 2017

Congratulations on a very nice catch, Nick. The dial looks to be in absolutely stunning condition.

I had my 2913-3 bezel re-filled by Aldo ; I'm sure you'll be very happy.

If you are in the Chicago area I'd be happy to lend you my Bergeon opener, or open the case-back for you. Drop me a PM.

Etp095 and watchpatina like this.
  14. Willem023 Feb 13, 2017

+1
    This should be a sticky in 'how to post a first post'....... :thumbsup:
    And a great find too...... ::rimshot::

watchpatina likes this.
  15. donkii Feb 14, 2017

Nice catch :D That is for sure something to hold on to :) I'm missing mine when I see this one... Enjoy!

14755-2.jpg

Cuttysark, Etp095, Baz9614 and 4 others like this.
  16. micampe Feb 14, 2017

Requiring an early SM300 for the first post is setting the bar quite high.

watchpatina, virro and Vicke like this.
  17. brunik Feb 14, 2017

Amazing...

watchpatina likes this.
  18. Willem023 Feb 14, 2017

might be, but is beats all the other cr@p we sometimes have to encounter
    :coffee:

Edited Feb 15, 2017
    watchpatina likes this.
  19. watchpatina Feb 14, 2017

Hey @ezinternet Thanks my man! I actually got an email from Aldo this morning about my request to have an insert made! I have several restoration decisions to make - would love to hear more about your experience with Aldo (and see your 2913-3 ::bleh::). Check your PM :)

20. watchpatina Feb 14, 2017

Awww, you guys are too nice :) I'll save my second post for when I find a 2915 :thumbsup:

jaegodylan likes this.