Forums Latest Members

FS Lucien Piccard Mens 14k Solid Gold Case Watch Automatic Seashark Waterproof

1. PirateLou Dec 18, 2013

Asking $450 shipped to anywhere in the U.S.A.
    Photos are self explanatory. Case is 14k Yellow Gold. Watch runs, but I'm not experienced enough set the time or date on this watch.
    Any questions, feel free to reply or message me.

IMG_7461.JPG IMG_7462.JPG IMG_7464.JPG IMG_7465.JPG IMG_7466.JPG IMG_7467.JPG IMG_7468.JPG IMG_7469.JPG IMG_7470.JPG IMG_7471.JPG IMG_7472.JPG
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 18, 2013

I think you need to set a fixed price for the watch on this forum. This sales forum is not supposed to be an eBay advertisement service.

I suppose it's OK to link to a "buy it now" eBay listing, but it would be recommended to put your price here as well for those who would rather contact you directly.

gatorcpa

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Dec 19, 2013

Correct. Ebay links are fine, as long as there's a price listed here. Please update your listing or it will be deleted soon. Thanks.

4. PirateLou Dec 19, 2013

Why not create a separate "For Sale" section for people who'd like to list eBay auctions, etsy, and such? This way anyone that doesn't want to deal with auctions won't have to. This way everyone is happy?

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Dec 19, 2013

It's certainly something to consider, though I'm not sure if there's enough demand to keep a for-sale section (without asking prices) going. We're pretty strict about the sale section here because the posts end up indexed by sites like Watch Recon. It's also intended to keep things more straight forward for buyers/sellers, rather than having piles of "make me an offer" threads.

I just noticed you've added an asking price. Perfect, thanks. :thumbsup:

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 19, 2013

I wouldn't be in favor of that at all. If you want to have an auction, then have an auction. IMO, it's just not the place of this site to promote auctions.

Fixed price sales on etsy and others can be listed here with a link to the page and mention of the price. If you want to give forum members who contact you directly a break, since your costs are less, that's up to you and the buyers.

There is a distinction and hope we decide to keep it that way,
    gatorcpa

Hijak, X350 XJR and epl108 like this.
  7. PirateLou Dec 19, 2013

That's just silly. Why do you care so much if a listing to an auction has been listed? Does it affect you in any way? You can always choose never to visit that portion of the forum if you don't want to. It works successfully on hundreds of other forums, why not here?

It all depends on one's viewpoint I suppose... I believe it would be beneficial to have that as an option as I primarily sell items on eBay as opposed to create a brand new listing on a forum. One can always choose to bid/buy from the ebay listing if they prefer (it's also in the favor of the buyer) and if not, no big deal. It wouldn't interfere with your daily watch discussions or the current "For Sale" section at all. I obviously have no say in this matter and I'm not fighting for it with any of the moderators, I just thought this idea could be a solution.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 20, 2013

I'm only aware of one other watch board that allows links to members' active eBay auctions on their sales forum, and that particular one also allows it in the main forums as well. I always felt that the main purpose of this forum was the free sharing of knowledge and information, not the commercial aspect of the business of selling watches. Most of the other sellers here are not professional dealers, although I admit there are a few exceptions.

I do see a difference between a direct sale between members where the negotiations are out of public view and (more-or-less) public auctions on eBay.

We have many members, who have put items for sale here and having found no takers after a time, ended their post with the words "Off to eBay". I have no problem with that, I just don't think the auction listing should be the primary purpose for posting.

I think we will just agree to disgree on this point.
    gatorcpa

Hijak likes this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 20, 2013

gator, I'm totally with you on this. Indeed the forum was created as a place for like-minded people to share their knowledge and information, not as a business platform.

The For Sale section is, just that, items for sale, not items on auction.

As someone who sells both here and on eBay, I have specifically chosen NOT to promote my eBay sales here on this forum, even the fixed price listings.

Hijak likes this.
  10. PirateLou Dec 20, 2013

I'm understanding your views, but I disagree wholeheartedly. My point is simply, what difference would it make to anyone opposed to having an ebay auction/craigslist/etc section AS WELL as a For Sale section as it is now. Why would this affect any of you negatively? I'm ok with there not being one, it's a suggestion... simple as that. This anti-ebay auction thing is something I'll never understand... it gives the opportunity for a less-knowledgeable seller not to get ripped off.