Forums Latest Members

Lost in Transit - Maybe? - Advice Appreciated

1. kip595 Dec 9, 2020

So, I'll word this a bit vaguely to keep the other party completely anonymous, but for the first time actually in all my tradings via mail/courier (including watches as well as other collectibles) I'm dealing with a USPS claim.

In short, a piece valued around 2-3k USD, although shipped tracked priority package, has been 'in transit' and listed as 'Departed' from the most recently scanned facility for what will soon be three weeks.

Anyone have experience with this in dealing directly with the USPS? A "case" has already been opened but can anyone recommend any further steps to take, or am I now just at the mercy of the U.S. Post Office?

I guess I'm lucky to've never had a problem before, but man what bad timing! :confused:

Thanks guys!

*For the record, not an OF-related transaction.

Edited Dec 9, 2020
  2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 9, 2020

If the last location was an actual post office look up their number and call them directly. It has worked for me before.

kkt, janice&fred and kip595 like this.
  3. kip595 Dec 9, 2020

Unfortunately last locale was just a distribution hub - no luck. :/

Thanks for the assist though!

4. Evitzee Dec 9, 2020

The USPS has systems, procedures and protocols, i think you will be at the mercy of them. The PO where you mailed the item from should tell you how it wotks and how long it may take.

5. Pazzo Dec 9, 2020

A recent mail took 5 weeks to get to me from not a far away country to mine.
    It sat at a hub for weeks but finally made it.

I hope it'll be the same for you.

6. Marsimaxam Dec 10, 2020

I have had to call USPS to track two packages both of which finally arrived at their destinations, but, both were over 5 weeks late. The tracking read like a "Where's Waldo" game as the packages seemed to be moving around the USA in a random pattern. Rest assured, few packages are truly lost forever... be patient.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2020

It’s world wide. A shortage of freighter planes is slowing all shipping in all countries. Mail has quadrupled around the world and it’s not easing.
    Read a copy of the air cargo newsletter only yesterday at QANTAS cargo and the figures for the world wide increase is nothing short of astronomical.

Planes that are sitting idle from international travel are getting converted to freight cargo planes by the dozens as we speak to handle the increase.

US to Australia for me has gone from 20-21 days to nearly 2 months with the random 10 days thrown in to mix it up !?

Syzygy, kov, Syrte and 6 others like this.
  8. zwjk Dec 10, 2020

How long has the package been in transit for?

I wouldn’t be concerned yet if it was under 2 months since the parcel left.

No doubt there are delays due to the current world situation. I had have to wait up to 2 months for parcels from the US and UK. Mind you these were shipped on “priority” services too.

9. janice&fred Dec 10, 2020

Same for us. Sold a bunch of el-cheapo watches in a package deal to a friend in Australia and he had all but given up on them arriving and then out of the blue they simply showed up safe and sound a month and a half late.

Syrte, connieseamaster and STANDY like this.
  10. Maganator Dec 10, 2020

I have only ever had one watch go 'missing' and it was at the hands of the USPS. It was checked in at a hub and then departed - but they had no record of where it went after that (home in one of their employees back pocket is my best guess).

They were beyond unhelpful and I ended up walking away with nothing. My watch gone and the sale proceeds repaid to the seller by paypal.

Since them I only ever use UPS or DHL and I have not had any problems.

Good luck.

Thrasher36 and kip595 like this.
  11. Walrus Dec 10, 2020

Cant be a lot of help but I had something “in transit” with no updates until it was in my mailbox. Seemed like it was only a week beyond normal but it just happened a few weeks ago, never had something like that happen before.

Wryfox likes this.
  12. duc Dec 10, 2020

Like the others have said, be patient, your parcel will probably show up.

In the spring I sent a parcel to Croatia from the US. The circuit it took while leaving the US left me very confused. The last location indicated was Kentucky (shipped from Maine). From there, there were no updates for a couple of months. In the meantime, I sent a second parcel to the same address. That one arrived within a few weeks. A few weeks after that, the first arrived. In the time frame between sending those, there were two parcels coming to me from Singapore and HK. Both arrived in less than a month from placing the orders.

The Covid situation has thrown a wrench into postal deliveries. All that said, all of the delivery entities could do a lot better with how they communicate the status of parcels. It's like they go out of their way to not communicate, while pretending to communicate.

Edit: I forgot to add; while waiting for the first parcel to show some movement out of Kentucky, I started a claim. WIthin a couple of days the USPS reported the parcel had left the US, and the situation was resolved. That report came from a distribution center states away from Kentucky. When I followed up with my local PO, they had no idea what was going on. They promised to follow up and get to the bottom of it. They never did for the two months or more between that time and the actual delivery date. Mass confusion reigns at the USPS whenever anything goes slightly off kilter.

13. asrnj77 Dec 10, 2020

I once had a similar USPS situation. I had insurance on the shipment and was told I had to wait 45 days from the date of the last scan.

You know the ending...it arrived on the 46th day.

Pazzo likes this.
  14. Keith88lx Dec 10, 2020

I bought a watch on eBay a few weeks ago and usps still says processed through facility. My piece is less than $100 though.

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2020

I have had two, or perhaps I should say only two similar problems over a very long history with the USPS. The first was assumed lost, and my money was refunded by eBay. The watch was somehow delivered about a year later.

The second one was supposedly signed for, but it didn't happen at the address to which it was sent. USPS was essentially no help, but I did bow-beat eBay into eventually refunding my money. It wasn't easy. :D

These were both long before COVID, and there is no doubt that there are more complications and greater delays these days.

Edited Dec 10, 2020
  16. IHBrian Dec 10, 2020

It seems to be very random at what takes forever to arrive or to show up on time. In the last couple months I have had everything from watch parts to my 5th wheel skirting shipped from usps, ups and fed ex. The longest arrival time was a touch over two months. It takes some doing and a lot of calls but, if you are persistent and get to talk to the right people they will find your package and make sure it gets to you.
    The latest example for me is exactly what you are describing, I called and called and finally had someone actually call me from where it was last scanned and low and behold, it was still there set off to the side in the lost section. No idea why as it was scanned as leaving but, it never left. The facility foreman was nice enough to call me and let me know she found it and even called me to let me know she had put it on the outgoing truck herself, my package arrived two days later.
    Most usps local office numbers aren't listed anymore so it will be a bit harder to track down on your own and you will be at the mercy of whoever is on the other end of the line.
    Anyways, hope you get your package safe and sound.

17. Wlcutter Dec 10, 2020

I'll just chime in to note that the USPS, which I've used+loved for years, has never, ever been this bad, this consistently. I'm currently awaiting a package that should've been here last week; it got sent three time zones away, and should be here next week. OP: I'd be anxious, certainly (I've a $2.5k watch that's been "in transit" to me for only a week now, so I relate), but I suspect it will all shake out, but on a pony express timeline.

tgeekb and kip595 like this.
  18. Dan S Dec 10, 2020

Most likely it will show up eventually. You and the sender should each go to your local post office and talk to a manager. There is a lot they can do to look for the package.

19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 10, 2020

I bought something from the US (via USPS) that took 3.5 months in March. Maybe just hang in there...

20. offrdmania Dec 10, 2020

It may be sitting is customs somewhere and until it is vetted, the tracking wont update until its scanned.

BlackTalon likes this.