Forums Latest Members
  1. Redwheelbarrow Aug 5, 2018

With resolve more than sense of loss, I’m asking help from the OF brain trust to determine the value of a fine DN90 bezel that was lost while wearing my recently serviced 105.003-63 Ed White.

Forum experts will be quick to recognize this DN90 was not original for this reference, which was issued with a DON90 bezel. Various watchmakers who’ve examined the watch have suggested the DN90 was likely a replacement for the original DON90 bezel when serviced between 1970 and 1990. The light-gray fade of the departed DN90, which precisely matched the attractive light-gray fade of the dial, suggests the bezel replacement occurred when the watch was young, perhaps in the 1970’s. (Photos follow)

My hope is to make a fair insurance claim, and replace the lost bezel with a comparable example. As we all know, it’s difficult enough to appraise a DON90 bezel whose values have skyrocketed. But curiously, it seems even more difficult to determine accurate value of a DN90 bezel. Particularly one that shows age and matches a vintage dial. So I’m reaching out for help. Any recommendations or referrals for determining the value of this bezel for an honest insurance claim?

The watchmaker who serviced the watch has been supportive. Yet, he said frankly that I may know more about the value of this vintage bezel than he did, and requested help. Though a relatively new watchmakers shop, these watchmakers are Omega certified, value vintage examples, and are conscientious. To be clear, I like this watchmaker and want to continue doing business with them. So our discussions have been directed toward finding a positive solution. Please note, the watchmaker recommended replacing the hands during service only because they had already been replaced previously, while the dial, case and movement appear to be original and in fine condition. The accompanying photograph of the DN90 bezel on the 105.003 was taken by the watchmaker at the time they accepted the watch for service.

For those who may be wondering, the bezel disappeared during a sit-down dinner within an hour’s time that was clearly identified. There was no physical activity or knocking about that may have caused an impact. The watch has been worn, carefully, in rotation with others over a two-month period since it was serviced. The only circumstance imaginable that may have contributed to the bezel coming loose on this occasion was unusually high humidity during a rainstorm. Be assured, every step has been retraced many times and no stone left unturned in search of the wayward bezel, which despite best efforts has become a nagging concern.

In effort to help other Speedmaster owners avoid the queasy feeling of checking the time, only to find your Speedmaster bezel missing, here’s a question for the watchmakers: How does one firmly seat a vintage bezel insert to prevent its loss? Particularly now that vintage Speedmaster bezels are difficult to replace and increasingly valuable.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

105.003_Dial&Bezel,2.jpg
    BezelLost.2.jpg

Edited Aug 5, 2018
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2018

You need to talk to your insurance and word it carefully. 1st see if it is covered and what the limits are. Start with a correct bezel is 5k. Since watches tend to be on riders with agreed value. If not on a rider your policy will have maximums. Once you get an idea on limits go from there. They might only cover a modern bezel but leave that out of the convo.

3. kkt Aug 5, 2018

Sympathies! At least it wasn't a DON.

airansun likes this.
  4. Dan S Aug 5, 2018

What is your deductible? The bezel can be replaced for less than $1k USD. Maybe this is an opportunity to add a DON.

Edited Aug 5, 2018
    Civic4982 and kkt like this.
  5. auxpomme Aug 5, 2018

Terrible loss. Must have ruined dinner. On the upside, the watch kind of looks really nice without a bezel

Hortz likes this.
  6. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 5, 2018

Beautiful watch!

And I still need a 105.003-63! ::love::

Good luck resolving this situation!

Redwheelbarrow and MaiLollo like this.
  7. ndgal Aug 5, 2018

A quick search through eBay's sold items shows that nice DNN bezels like the one you lost go for around $700 - $900.
    It looks like only the inset has popped off which is rather strange, as the actual metal bezel ring is folded around the insert which means that some sort of pressure has caused it to pop off and "Fly" away.
    It could be just your pictures, but to my eye that plexi looks more "Domed" than it should be. Is it an original Omega part?

On another note, why change the hands? They look correct and in great shape!

Edited Aug 5, 2018
    Redwheelbarrow and Dan S like this.
  8. Dan S Aug 5, 2018

I thought this too, but the OP sounded like he had first-hand knowledge that the hands were replacements.

9. ndgal Aug 5, 2018

The “needle” tip of the Chrono hand is at the correct length. (Reaches all the way to the seconds markers). Replacement/service ones are slightly shorter.

Dan S likes this.
  10. Redwheelbarrow Aug 5, 2018

Thanks for the Ebay reference for DNN bezels. The crystal is original Omega part.

11. Redwheelbarrow Aug 5, 2018

The replacement hands are original parts sourced from a helpful watchmaker in the community. :)

12. Redwheelbarrow Aug 5, 2018

A helpful soul referred me to Watchmaker 101 website, where estimated values of DON90 bezels are striking. But there appears to be no data specifically for DN90 bezels. Can anyone recommend an expert well-positioned to appraise the lost DN90?

Thank you.

13. BenBagbag Aug 5, 2018

You've heard from them right here on the forum. There are no DNN appraisers (that I've heard of). I think @ndgal was pretty correct. Your's likely would fetch $700-$900 based on the slight damage between 250-225 and the light wear throughout.

Dan S and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2018

That’s about what I’d put it.

Dan S likes this.
  15. Dan S Aug 5, 2018

FWIW I agree with everyone else. :)

(Although I'm not sure how some opinions on the internet are going to help the OP with his insurance company.)

Redwheelbarrow likes this.
  16. harrymai86 Aug 5, 2018

So anyone has any idea how much a perfect DN90 will cost in today market?

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2018

Perfect nos... depends on marketing and the day but 1,500 on the right day as someone would need to have a straight writing or no NASA and need a mint bezel for it... generally though 1k seems to be the top end. Your still constrained by the value of a perfect 69-198?

BenBagbag likes this.