Forums Latest Members
  1. jaredvdm Sep 28, 2019

Hi everyone. New here. I have a 72 Seamaster (166.065 Cal 565) that you guys helped me find the model and year for.

My neighbour is an elderly gentleman that was given an Omega when he was 18 (so roughly 55 years ago). I asked if he knew anything about it. He said he emailed Omega some time back, but couldn't afford the fee related to obtaining the info. I immediately thought of this forum.

I know this isn't according to forum posting guidelines (yes I read the posting format thread), but all I have is a picture I took in haste and a short back story.

The watch was given to him by a family friend who had it for quite some time. Close to 30 years he said. It's a manual. I noticed the lack of "swiss made" at the bottom of the dial, but I understand that it's not always a bad sign. The "2" in number 12 really peaked my interest, as I've never seen the font before.

Anyways, I appreciate any help I can get.

IMG_7424.jpg
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 28, 2019

It’s a very lovely watch in a typical 1940s style, the style of the numerals also typical of the period (there’s a thread in the UG subforum about so called « deco numerals »).

I don’t know much about Omega, but I reckon the caliber ought be a 26.5 or a 30T2.
    What’s the diameter? It looks like a fairly big size?

Other more knowledgeable folks I’m sure will soon chime in. @JimInOz @Tire-comedon

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 28, 2019

Looks to be a mid 1940s "Omega 30mm" (just guessing) with an original dial, nice blued steel "Plume" style hands and unusual but attractive numerals.

I think @Syrte is close with the caliber, but only opening it will tell.

I'd like to see more of it.

Where in the world is it located?

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. mac_omega Sep 28, 2019

Going by the style of the hands and the case it looks like a pretty early example out of the Cal. 30 family - could be a Cal. 30 or 30 T1

5. jaredvdm Sep 28, 2019

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it’s definitely bigger than 30mm. It’s quite a large watch. I will ask him if I can take more pics.

We live in a town called Somerset West. 30min outside of Cape Town, South Africa.

I know that he had sent Omega info. I will ask him for the email. I think it should have pics of the movement.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 28, 2019

The "30mm" refers to the family of the movement/caliber, one of Omega's most famous, not to the actual diameter of the case.

Do you have a local watchmaker with a reputation for good work?

felsby and Foo2rama like this.
  7. jaredvdm Sep 28, 2019

Hey JimInOz,

None that I know of. I just found out, the guy that services my watch died a little while ago.

If there is anyone that knows of someone in the Cape Town area, I would love to connect with them.

8. jaredvdm Oct 9, 2019

Hey guys,

I was able to get some more pictures. Hopefully, this will help identify the watch. From what I could find, it looks like a 1939 model.

23d4688b-c8c8-4d28-bc88-53037d2a7b6f.JPG 80a26f63-513c-4b9f-adb5-cb3865a8b12a.JPG
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2019

The case and movement numbers could put the date to 1939/1943 (approx).

I think the movement is a nickel plated caliber 30T1.

I think @mac_omega will be able to give us a qualified answer though.