Forums Latest Members
  1. PaleSkinnySwede Jan 23, 2014

Hi,

(I'm sorry for misspelling the thread title - embarrassing)

I've come across an Omega from the 1920/1930's era but I haven't bought it yet.

Pictures of the watch can be found here;
    http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/d...4-47e2-b2b9-bd413d2015ce_zps7f76d758.jpg.html
    http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/d...c-435e-b7fb-d2b559c2eb2e_zps43ed30ac.jpg.html

It's said to run prefectly if wound every day (I can live with that) and that the rest of it is in, as you can see, a rather marvellous condition.

What's the name of the model?

What can it be worth? It's an auction, so I'm asking how high I should go before I'm starting to feel ripped off :)

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 23, 2014

Hi Skinny, Welcome to the forum!
    I wonder what the case measures, because this looks exactly like a 1929 Ladies reference 1853, containing the cal. 23.7 movement.
    It is large for a ladies watch of that era.
    The beautiful Poire style hands were around since 1900 and has me wondering a little, but the movement #7,xxx,xxx was used from 1920-1934 or so.
    The dial looks pristine, maybe too nice? However it is possible for these enamel dials to hold up.
    We really could use some measurements but what we really need is for a couple of our resident experts that love this era to join in! I'd like confirmation from others as to my feeling that the dial is original.

I wouldn't think too valuable, should be a sterling silver case, maybe $400ish, a little more if you really like it.

Nice watch, you have got to love the style!
    Good Luck

PaleSkinnySwede and JimInOz like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 23, 2014

On the money UB, hands were probably a variation to the Empire or Breguet styles and were available at the time (mid 20s?).
    Probably not a big watch, 26/28mm across the case maybe?

PaleSkinnySwede likes this.
  4. PaleSkinnySwede Jan 25, 2014

Hi! Thank you so much for the extremely informative replies. I'm a bit stunned by the expertise found here.

The watch measures 39mm across without the crown - so it's rather big if you ask me.

And yes, I love the style of the watch - both the hands and the dials. Such a beauty.

Cheers

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 25, 2014

That measurement kind of stuns me, please double-check that they aren't including the crown or lugs and just giving you the circular diameter only.
    As far as I know, the cal. 13 S* (A,B,C,D depending on jewel count) movement, 13 lignes or almost 30mm is the only one that would measure this big, making this a far more unusual watch.
    There are examples like this based on the "Officers" watches post World War I, but I can't find any with this dial and hands. While the dial/hands are a correct style for this era, we need some serious confirmation of originality as the value of this watch has just gone up!

We have some marvelous, talented experts here that I hope will join in.

If this is a wearable size (39mm), correct, original piece, I would think the value has doubled or more.
    I would want to check for any hairline cracks on the dial, see a few more pictures such as the inside and outside of caseback and side views to look at condition and wire lug shape.
    Double check measurements of the case and also the movement if you can.

If it all checked out and we get confirmation from the right people here, I'd pay $1000 U.S. for it, but I'm in over my head. I bet the silver case would clean up and this would be a beauty!

6. PaleSkinnySwede Jan 25, 2014

I'm terribly sorry. JimInOz is correct. The watch measures 29mm and nothing else. I must've misread the measurements earlier.

So sorry for the confusion.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 25, 2014

Be still, my heart!
    In that case, it's the Ladies watch as described above, good luck!

8. PaleSkinnySwede Jan 25, 2014

I truly appreciate everyone's input in this thread. Even though I've got small wrists the watch need to measure at least 35mm to look good.

9. PaleSkinnySwede Jan 26, 2014

The watch auction just passed €305 (US$ 418). And since it's a ladies watch I'll be dodging it.

Many thanks for everything though. Il stay on the forum to read up on Omega's and might (hopefully) get one rather soon. I can feel it in my stomach.

Cheers!

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 26, 2014

With that beautiful dial and hands, no telling what someone might pay.
    There are people with more money than they know what to do with.
    If you like the older stuff, we'll be talking again sometime!
    Watch our "WRUW" thread in open conversation for ideas and our "For Sale" forum for honest watches at honest prices from honest people.

11. PaleSkinnySwede Jan 27, 2014

Appreciate the warm welcome. Thank you so much!

UncleBuck likes this.