Forums Latest Members

Looking for strap/bracelet ideas for old Speedmaster

1. SteKos Mar 7, 2018

I scored a heavily beat-up Speedmaster head at a garage sale. Case/crystal were really bad, and one of the pushers was missing. Movement has SN: 30592275. Case back says "145022-69 ST". From my searching, it's a Pre-Moon Speedmaster, Cal 861? The movement wound/ran, and kept good time, so I sent it in to Manhattan Time Services for a refurb. Looks like new-old-stock now, but need something to mount it on so I can wear it.

Seems like my best bet would be to get an Omega 1171 Bracelet for it, I think that's accurate for the watch/year? Quite pricey, though. Which should be expected for 50 year old parts.

I'm open to Bracelet or Strap ideas, would like something that looks "correct" for the watch. Maybe a 3rd party strap and an old stock buckle? Just get a nice Speedmaster-style strap/buckle and call it done???

Thanks in advance.

2. v12gte Mar 7, 2018

Welcome. Yes, you have a cal 861 there. Post some pics before and after refurb!

I had mine on a colorful vintage strap (suede-like red leather). I have since bought a proper 1039 bracelet, but you are correct, they are pricey and usually pretty tired. I am still looking for 516 endlinks!
    Get something fun to start with and then see if you later want to shell out a grand (and then some) for a period-correct bracelet.

LKspeedySM_0065.jpg

3. Seacow Mar 7, 2018

I vote for JB champion ...Pic from OF, not my own watch

spped 1.jpeg
    MaiLollo likes this.
  4. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

Would be curious to see a picture of the watch ! :whistling:

5. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

I've one of those, beautiful bracelet !! But two problems with it, it's a pain to put on and remove, and it does somehow damage the lugs a bit...

MaiLollo likes this.
  6. SteKos Mar 7, 2018

OK, let's see if this works:

BEFORE
    omega speedmaster BEFORE.JPG
    AFTER
    omega speedmaster AFTER.jpg

WYO_Watch likes this.
  7. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

Did you replaced the dial and hands or it's just some lighting difference ?? And if yes did you keep the original parts ?

8. SteKos Mar 7, 2018

I believe that everything was cleaned/polished/fixed, except for the new pusher, crown, bezel and crystal.

9. oli.wilsonn Mar 7, 2018

That has got to be a new set of hands :( sad but at the end of the day its your watch and it is still lovely

10. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

It looks like they replaced the hands at least, dial I can't say if it's the picture... I hope it's the original one the lume looked amazing !! And I hope they gave you back the original hands too they will make most of the value of the watch (If they did I would put them back on put it's not mine :p) !!
    Nevertheless such a nice piece and a cool step dial ! Congrats !!

11. SteKos Mar 7, 2018

Argh. I should have checked with you guys before I sent it in for refurb. I did some reading on the watch, but this is my first vintage Speedmaster. I take it that I should have kept the original hands?

12. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

Yup... Dial and matching hands... whitout it you cut most of the value of the watch ... But don't let that ruin your experience ! Try to enquire about the missing parts, was it at Omega ?

13. sjg22 Mar 7, 2018

Oh no.... that’s not a good result....

Perhaps it’s the lighting, at least in terms of the dial plots, but this went from a nicely patinated watch with character to quite the opposite, at least in my eyes.

There are those that like making old things new again, enjoying the new aesthetic - if that’s you, more power to you (although you’ll likely be in the minority on OF).

Edited Mar 7, 2018
    bazderome likes this.
  14. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

I think it might be relumed which would be worst as it means the original lume is gone forever... Maybe with some more photo we could have a better look

15. bazderome Mar 7, 2018

But as said before don't let that spoil your watch, if you were happy about the result and you prefer the watch like that then it's up to you !! Keep it like this and enjoy it ! But if you can get hold of the previous parts (they should have give them back to you btw...) then keep them aside if one day you want to sell it :)

16. MaiLollo Mar 7, 2018

Yes, Ts my watch but not my pic :)