Forums Latest Members

Looking for Speedmaster - Grey Side of the Moon

1. Cyneric Nov 18, 2019

I sold my first speedy a few years back and I'm unable to buy it back. I'm in the market for another and have fallen in love with the new Grey Side of the Moon. It will be my first ceramic watch and it seems like case strength and reliability hasn't been a huge issue, unless I'm mistaken.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy or know someone interested in selling? I'd be looking for one that is like new or in great condition with original box and papers.

Thanks!

nola22 likes this.
  2. BradleyJ. Nov 18, 2019

You'd get more help if you said where you're located.

Cyneric likes this.
  3. bama2141 Nov 18, 2019

Keep an eye on the Sales pages here, or use the WatchRecon website/app. Of course there’s always the Bay and Chrono24.

Gven the ceramic case and sapphire crystal, any watch you find will likely look great.

Best of luck.

Cyneric likes this.
  4. Cyneric Nov 18, 2019

Good point! I'm in Nashville, TN and willing to drive a few hundred miles for the right deal.

5. bama2141 Nov 18, 2019

Crown and Caliber is based in Atlanta and has a Grey Side on sale (with an extra $250 off sale). No box and papers but a good price

No affiliation with them...

Cyneric likes this.
  6. mjb Nov 18, 2019

I read somewhere on this forum I think that the ceramic case can be a bit fragile if abused. It's a neat watch, and you could likely source it from one of the many gray market sellers that advertise frequently on the for sale forum.

Cyneric likes this.
  7. BradleyJ. Nov 18, 2019

Well if you're in the U.S. then Jomashop has it in stock at 34% off. Brand new with everything but the warranty.

befobe and Cyneric like this.
  8. absoluteczech Nov 18, 2019

Cyneric likes this.
  9. TheBodhisattva Nov 18, 2019

Bought mine from Sergei earlier this year, very reputable. This is the reference with the deployant clasp which is worth it to me. https://www.chitownwatch.com/produc...ch-grey-side-of-the-moon-311-93-44-51-99-002/

Cyneric and absoluteczech like this.
  10. absoluteczech Nov 18, 2019

Cyneric likes this.
  11. nola22 Nov 18, 2019

I was actually thinking of selling mine, I just don’t wear it that much and it never saw much wrist time!

As mentioned above your only options are deploying vs buckle. Pluses and minuses to both, I have a pitch black with the deployant and the clasp digs a bit into my wrist when doing desk work or typing. Though it does look better in my opinion.

Strangely from a list price perspective the deployant reference (.002) is $1600 more than the standard buckle (.001) even though from a parts standpoint you can buy both the OEM strap and buckle for under $800 through your AD, slightly more through an omega boutique.

Beautiful watch for sure and I think best of the of them moon series! Don’t worry much about the ceramic, yes it’s technically more ‘ brittle’ than stainless steal but 1) it would take a pretty large force applied in the right spot to break and 2) it’s scratch resistance to the everyday forces your watch is subject to, between desk swirls and the occasional knock, more than make up for it. These watches retain their original brilliance long after your stainless watch looks more akin to an d steel wool pad. Not to say you can’t break a lug or crack the case with full hammer swing forces, but your chances are slim.

Cyneric likes this.
  12. Cyneric Nov 26, 2019

I was able to pick up a GSOTM from Nola22. It was great working with him and I couldn't be happier with the watch. Big thanks to everyone on here for the help!

I'm in the market for a deployment clasp and strap now. I've seen some cool pictures of aftermarket and custom straps too. If anyone has a lead on an OEM deployant clasp and strap, please let me know. Ideas for third party straps are welcome too!

IMG_20191126_094010.jpg IMG_20191126_095613.jpg
  13. BradleyJ. Nov 26, 2019

The ol back door sales thread, Well played :thumbsup:

Evitzee, Cyneric and Jonathan40 like this.
  14. larryganz The cable guy Nov 26, 2019

At least things worked out well, and no animals were harmed in the making of this thread.

BradleyJ. and rbob99 like this.
  15. Ian_km Nov 27, 2019

Love that taco lume!

16. TheBodhisattva Nov 27, 2019

https://www.jean-rousseau.com/us/ - this is who Omega contracts the straps from. Pricey but high quality. Be sure to find curved ends that take straight bars. It makes a difference on this model. 21mm is a rough size to shop for