Forums Latest Members
  1. Dayton Oct 16, 2015

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recently my Dad my Dad gave me a couple of his old watches. The gold one was a gift from my Mom in 1969, the Seamaster was a gift to my my Dad from his brother (Yes, another Uncle story) in 1957. The Seamaster was my Dad's daily wear till 1969 when my Mom gave him the gold one.

I love the Seamaster replacement band complete with the 1969 scrolling calendar.

Fairly certain the gold one is legit, except for the stem which my dad had replaced in the 1970's and didn't realize it wasn't a genuine Omega part.

The Seamaster, should be real, but I could be a victim of the "Uncle Scam" just 60+ years later.

Both of the watches wind and the hands move but neither run.

Over the phone the local Omega dealer has has quoted me a price of $1200.00 each to have them serviced and brought back to "like new" condition. Due to both watches age they will have to be shipped back to Switzerland for service.

I have no idea what model the gold one is, and for all I know the gold might be worth more than the watch.

I did find a couple 1957 Seamaster's for sale priced from $1500 - $2500

Here's where I'm looking for some advice.
    Is that a reasonable price?
    Would a local vintage watch dealer be able to do an adequate job?
    Which watch would you fix first?

Thank you much for your time.
    Dayton

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 16, 2015

Lol
    Will write more soon, but appreciated your humour re uncles!

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 16, 2015

Where is local to you? That will make a difference.

Which to do first... which ever you want to wear the most, I would say. For me, that would be the Seamaster. The gold watch is somewhat unique because way too many of those watches had their bracelets removed and lugs for a usual strap added.

But it's entirely up to you.

Your father clearly loved the gold watch, the crown is quite worn from winding. If that matters to you....

Tom

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 16, 2015

The one on the right looks all original.
    The one on the left, id like to see closer photos of the dial to say if it has been repainted at some stage.

But both look authentic (but to be 100%, photos of the interior are needed).

Re service, DONT use omega. They will replace/alter all sorts of parts and risks destroying its sentimental (and cash) value. A good independent watchmaker should be able to repair them for (depending on condition $200-$400 each.

On value, givrn the Seamaster isnt running, its prob worth around $500. Once repaired, just under $1k. The gold one, a lot depends on the gold content.

5. Dayton Oct 16, 2015

Thanks, yes I'm leaning towards the Seamaster as well. The crown on the gold one isn't original, for some reason I thought it was called a stem, my dad had it replaced 40+ years ago and never gave it a second thought.

Edited Oct 16, 2015
  6. Dayton Oct 16, 2015

Thank you for the reply, I was looking for the "Don't use Omega" I live in South Florida, God's waiting room, so I'm sure there's someone here that knows older watches. Not looking to spend 1200 to end up with a sub 1000 watch.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 16, 2015

@gatorcpa lives in Florida, so might be able to help recommend a watchmaker.

8. Dayton Oct 17, 2015

Thanks for the advice.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 17, 2015

I'm trying someone new on a couple of old watches. Haven't used anyone local for a couple of years. Don't want to give a recommendation until I know what he can (or can't) do.

There are quite a few watchmakers here in SoFla, but I've not found the "one guy fix all" solution. Doubt I ever will.

Good luck-
    gatorcpa