Forums Latest Members

Looking for qualified response for Aqua Terra watch differences.

1. Df13 Aug 28, 2017

I must have lost track. I thought the OP was open to a few different generations.

2. 600 Aug 28, 2017

Well yes. I was talking about the AT with vertical pattern and the asymmetric case.

3. fskywalker Aug 28, 2017

The 8508 AT is my favorite on the line; probably will at some point buy one!

4. 600 Aug 29, 2017

Why is it some Aqua Terra comes in 8500 and other comes in 8800 movement?

Also beside the single barrel vs twin barrel which one of these (8500 & 8800) has longest track record? And what is the difference between these?

5. w.finkenstaedt Aug 30, 2017

Think of the 8800 being the METAS version of the 2500 calibre. Single barrel, coaxial, quick set date. It just has newer technology (silicon, nickel phosphorus and Nivagauss).

The 8500 has been around way longer.

600 likes this.
  6. 600 Aug 31, 2017

What size was the original Aqua Terra? Like historical. I know all the watches are goibg bigger ans bigger and IMO it is way out if proportion.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 31, 2017

The skyfall is the non Master C 38.5 Version while in specter he uses the 41 mm master C. The differences are on the movement, Date window (framed versus non framed) and size.

600 likes this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 31, 2017

Buster and 600 like this.
  9. 600 Aug 31, 2017

That is a good looking piece! I just ordered the 38.5mm version. It is more proportioned thab the 41.5mm for me. How big is yout wrist?

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 31, 2017

A little over 7.50 I think

11. w.finkenstaedt Aug 31, 2017

The Aqua Terra has only been around since 2002. It was originally offered in 39.2mm and 41mm. They made a 36mm Railmaster reissue, but I'm unsure if that carried over to the mainstream models. I certainly haven't seen many if they did.

We are currently only on the third generation of Aqua Terra (going by calibre, first gen was 2500 based, then 8500, now 8900/8800).

600 and Df13 like this.
  12. Df13 Aug 31, 2017

Yeah, both the original Aqua Terra and Railmaster 2500 were available in 36.2mm, 39.2mm and 41mm sizes at some point...and then there's the 49.2mm Railmaster XXL from that era with the modified pocket watch movement!

13. 600 Sep 1, 2017

Anyone low what the hands and indices are made of on the 8500 AT watches?

I have been told brass with rhodium coating, massive white gold, and steel. Which one is true?

Also what is the dial disc made of?

Im very curious of the material used to form these AT watches. If any one of you can link to something more in-depth please dont hold you self back. :)

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2017

Dials are typically made of brass - sometimes other materials are used, but most Omega dials are brass. The markers of the three models listed in the first post are all rhodium plated, so not solid precious metal, and the same goes for the hands.

600 likes this.
  15. 600 Sep 2, 2017

Rhodium plating sits on top of steel or brass?

And will that blue dial fade in color when exposed to sunlight just like a coke bottles red color turning into whiteish over time?

Also how are the applied 11 markers installed on the dial? Is there somekind of a mini-screw that goes into the dial or just glues on? Or are they one-piece with the dial?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2017

Not 100% sure, but likely brass.

All colours fade eventually with exposure to UV.

Small pins on the back of markers are used to locate/hold the markers.

As an aside, you should maybe just consider getting the watch and enjoying it, rather than asking endless questions. I understand wanting to know some details, but some point you just need to wear it and enjoy it...

Foo2rama and 600 like this.
  17. 600 Sep 2, 2017

Well I already ordered it. Just waiting for it to arrive. I like the details. I dont ask these as a step for decision making Im asking these purely because I like to know how this little piece is put together, what raw material has been used etc. I have a huge interest in product manufacturing the making of things, the process and the final touch. I was a former silencer/small arms designer and now design and manufacturer water treatment systems for hydroways. So this is the reason I am curious by nature. Where other people focus on the look I like to know what went ahead the result. :)

18. 600 Sep 2, 2017

Just an example. For the average joe a bolt action rifle is..just a bolt action rifle. But for those who understand Accuracy International rifles are not just another bolt action. The consistency that went into these riflea are beyond anything else. Repeatability, durability and reliability of such tool is amazing. The more you know the more you enjoy owning the rifle. I assume watch makers' passion is basically form upon that very curious nature to know more in such a degree where the beauty of things reveal only for those who are sincerely interested in the master piece X.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2017

Okay I was too subtle with my hint I guess. Lets just say Omega is not at the level of the Accuracy International rifles you speak of.

There is a common principle stated on watch forums that if you like the watch you should never study it carefully with a 10X loupe, because you are bound to find something that isn't perfect. Once seen, it can't be unseen and I've seen a segment of people end up selling watches they previously liked because they could not "get over" some small thing they saw. Your questions lead me to believe you might be one of those people.

These are mid-tier, massed produced watches, so at some point if you keep asking questions, you may not like the answers. I was a project/manufacturing engineer for a couple of decades before becoming a full time watchmaker, so if you have similar experience you know how production works, sampling, tolerances, and variation. And the quest to cut costs. So "the more you know the more you may not enjoy owning the watch." ;)

Cheers, Al

Nobel Prize and Df13 like this.
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 2, 2017

Yep. Winter is coming.