Forums Latest Members

Looking for qualified response for Aqua Terra watch differences.

1. w.finkenstaedt Aug 19, 2017

LiGA is a process of creating incredibly tiny components with very precise tolerances.

Here's a great video on the process:

Eve, Tritium and nixf6 like this.
  2. 600 Aug 19, 2017

Amazing production technology!

W, I re-read the METAS procedure and was wondering if you took a 8500 AT or the bumblebee AT with 8508 and put it through the pace of METAS how likely are they to pass/fail?

If things are so close and only minimal cosmetic changes are made from one calibre to another is the METAS even worth waiting for just to have a watch that is METAS certified?

3. w.finkenstaedt Aug 19, 2017

The certification is mostly peace of mind, honestly. Any 8508 or 8500G theoretically should pass METAS, but because of the nature of how the movement is initially regulated, they may not pass without specific adjustment (normal Omega tolerances for COSC movements without METAS is -1/+6 per day I believe, @Archer can correct me if I'm way off).

Personally as long as I'm looking at those three movements in particular, I'd go with the watch I like the looks of better. Personally even with owning an 8500G Aqua Terra and having just seen an 8900 for the first time, I like the new case and dial style better on the 8900 series (it also has the benefit of a lower retail price than the others at $5,500 on bracelet compared to $6,000 for the 8500G or $6,600 for the 8508).

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. 600 Aug 19, 2017

I see your point. And yes it surprises me the 8900 is cheaper actually. I really like the six o'clock date position compared to the three o'clock. It makes it more clean looking. However the symmetrical case is a step back IMO. I really like the 8508/8500G's case where the crown is sunken into the case for additional protection, that's a nice feature. One can then argue that the new 8900 design is more symmetrical.

Right now I'm stucked between the yellow and the orange. However the orange will set me back even further due to the leather strap (that I don't like). So I need to purchase original omega bracelet for the orange if that is what I go with. :-(

Will the 8508 hold better historical value as the "pioneer" of 15.000 gauss compared to the 8500G and 8900?

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 19, 2017

Time will tell but We all thought it could or should sometime in the future as the 15000 legend on the dial could be considered a very limited production transitional. That being said the consumer sets the demand and it is not easy to predict. In any event the value differential will kick in the future.

the same could be said for the "vertical" line AT versus the new Horizontal. On pictures I much prefer the Vertical. I Still have to see the new one though.

6. w.finkenstaedt Aug 19, 2017

I honestly thought I wouldn't like the new AT as much as my current, but honestly I much prefer the new AT. The case is a bit more refined, a bit more elegant.

As to the collectibility of the 15000 gauss model, I'd say it's almost assured. When the entire Omega collection is Master Chronometer certified in a decade, the value will start increasing as it will be the model that represents that first step. That's of course my opinion, but the way Omega is going, it wouldn't shock me. That, along with the Skyfall and SPECTRE Aqua Terra's (that were actually worn in the films) will always hold and increase in value, once the initial depreciation are out of the way.

People just flat out don't sell those models very often.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 19, 2017

The Aqua terra worn in the movie was not the specter limited edition, it was the Master coaxial Blue.

I actually really wan to see the new models live. I have the Blue MC and it is one of my favorite's and the only Omega I've kept in my collection, but there are a couple of issues with it, namely the date window and the "broken" hour hand.

Much like the new Rolex Datejust has refined it's aesthetics making me jump into getting one right away, it may be that the new AT captures my eye on the same way. If I do get it I'd still go for the blue

8. w.finkenstaedt Aug 19, 2017

Yep, that's what I meant. The "SPECTRE" LE Aqua Terra was actually to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of Omega and Bond, not SPECTRE. Hence why it was launched at Basel 2015, not later when the SPECTRE watch was announced.

Hence why I refer to the SPECTRE AT as such (like the Skyfall AT), not the Bond AT LE.

Edit: I actually love the hands on the Aqua Terra. I find them amazingly easy to read, more than almost any other watch but my PO (my PO is also 45.5mm, so...) and I prefer having no date window as it makes the date easier to read.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 19, 2017

No question, the legibility is about the best you can hope for under any condition. it's just the end of the hour hand that is a bit weird. I would have likes a more standard hand.

But, I's a lot of picking. It is still one of my favorites and pretty perfect as a watch. And still a stunner. The only other thing I did change is the CPL on the bracket, which I brushed to match the rest.

10. w.finkenstaedt Aug 19, 2017

I did the same!

C3155CF1-7ACA-451A-81AC-2415301EE670.jpg

destroid, Shailor and Nobel Prize like this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 19, 2017

great minds

12. 600 Aug 20, 2017

Alot of people like the blue dial. Everytime I see it against a black dial it just seems to fade out. The black has much more contrast and the indices are so vivid.

But in picture these blue dials look 10x better than the black ones. This makes me wonder are there different blue dials out there? Because when people post a pic of their blue dial it looks great!

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 20, 2017

All these dials change quite a bit under light conditions. A strong retail light at a Boutique or AD will tend to lighten the blue. In real world sometimes it looks very dark and sometimes lighter. This is the same for the gray/ black.... not so much for white .

To me, as a personal choice, blue is the one. I don't like the white or black versions as much

14. 600 Aug 20, 2017

I found this one! Like to share with you guys, but you probably already know!

http://nickhacko.blogspot.dk/2017/07/ultra-thin.html

Do you guys have any article I can read about this LiGA stuff in context with 8500 movements? Really amazing stuff going on here!

15. 600 Aug 21, 2017

Archer I saw that you discussed a subject regarding "brown wear", "sudden reduction in time" and "minute & hour out of aligbment".

Im about to pull the trigger on a AT Gauss and want to know if you guys are updated with these particular issues as of 2017. Did Omega sort it out by now or is there still a risk bumping into these problems today?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2017

The brown wear in the barrel, loose hands, and accelerated wear on balance pivots in the METAS movements all have solutions to them. It's not like an automotive safety recall that is mandatory, it's more like a hidden recall that they fix during service and you might not even be aware of. If something goes wrong, that's what the warranty is for...

17. 600 Aug 21, 2017

Only METAS calibre related? So nit 8500 and 8508?

Anyways nice to know its is if minor importance.

speedybob likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2017

No - the first 2 issues were across all the 8500 and 9300 based models. The problem of excess wear on the balance pivots affects only the 15,000 gauss models.

19. 600 Aug 21, 2017

By 15.000 Gauss model you refer to bumblebee secondhand with the 8508 calibre?

Because now all 8500 has 15.000 Gauss as well.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2017

I mean any model that is rated to 15,000 gauss...this is the most straightforward way I can say it mate.