Forums Latest Members
  1. battlefordguy Sep 28, 2015

Hello all

I acquired this watch a year or so ago, off a auction site. Seller advised that watch was serviced and that dial was "cleaned"...

Serial number: 1608863x
    Case back reference: 2846 & 2848

I believed the watch is from 1956.
    Cal 500. I took it to a local jeweller when first received, movement was very clean & jeweller advised everything was in great working order, with no work required.

So, redial????
    What kind of hands and why the absence of the name "seamaster" on the dial.

Any other info / details appreciated. I will continue to own & wear this watch.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. LawBrk Sep 28, 2015

To my fairly novice eye, appears to be a redial as you say. The "A" in omegA has a pointed top where I think it should be a bit flat (serif font-esque), the lack of "Seamaster" script could support a redial. Also, the hands appear to have lume? If so that may need to be indicated near the script "Swiss Made" with a "T", before a specific year it was not required (195X, can't remember the exact year) and could further support the redial conclusion. The crown looks like a decagonal one that was commonly used on the Constellation models, I don't believe I've seen one on an original SM before. Goggle the Omega Vintage Database and type in your reference number to get some info as well, but beware it is not a totally complete reference and not 100% accurate. Many others more knowledgeable than me can correct it to a T but thats my observations. In the end it is a pretty dress watch though, wear it well.

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. Sep 28, 2015

He cleaned it all of :) .Probably a redial and he brushed the case back with a sandpaper . Wrong crown in stainless steel . .

4. LawBrk Sep 28, 2015

Sorry, your OP asked about the hands. I believe they are dauphine style. And as to why someone would redial to a black face is because they are generally more rare and thus more valuable. Cheers

5. Dgercp Sep 28, 2015

hands certainly relumed, crown looks wrong. I am unable to tell from these poor quality photos much about the dial.
    Can you get some better shots?

6. battlefordguy Sep 28, 2015

Thanks for the feedback. Both dial & hands have lume.
    Crown may have been replaced, it is gold though, the front of the crown is "rubbed" pretty good, but the top of the crown is gold, sorry for the photo quality.

7. battlefordguy Sep 28, 2015

Thanks all for the efforts. I will try to get some better shots, for clarity..

8. battlefordguy Sep 28, 2015

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hope this offers some clarity.
    Thanks for all efforts and feedback.

9. battlefordguy Sep 28, 2015

[​IMG]

Best I can do with a iPad- lol