Forums Latest Members

Looking for information on this 1940's

1. njborg Nov 10, 2019

Hi everyone,

First off, this is my first vintage watch. I have been learning as much as I can and had been on the hunt for an Omega Seamaster when I stumbled upon this Longines and fell in love. I am based in Copenhagen and this was in the local Buy/Sell website.
    I fully expect some elements of this watch may not be original. And non of that bothers me as I bought it to wear and keep forever. The bronze foil markers and blue hands just look amazing to me.
    But some of what would make this look like a redial etc. don't seem to make sense to me. So I would like some input from others about this watch. There is simply no other dial I can find that is even remotely close to this design. And if it is a redial, wouldn't the person re painting it make it look like a model that is common or even exists?(as I can't find reference to it anywhere)

What I know about this already:
    I was told it is a 12.68z movement.
    Serial Number on Movement in 6896049.
    Number on case back is 23003 37.
    The dial feet are the original brass ones form what i can see.
    There is no number on the Lugs.
    To me it looks like it is not the original crown.
    It works, though runs a couple of minutes fast per day.

Looking forward to the discussion.
    Nate. CASE BACK.jpg MOVEMENT.jpg ON WRIST.jpg WATCH FACE.png

64Wing likes this.
  2. Rochete Nov 10, 2019

Such a beauty of movement, needs a service though. Redial, of course, a fantasy one (meaning is a repainter's design). Hands highly dubious.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 10, 2019

Yes, a redial. And, as mentioned above, the hands are almost certainly a replacement. Blued steel hands were typically not used with gold colored indexes.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 19, 2019

Yes a redial.
    Based on the serial number this is a 1940s watch — however it was redialed in a style which imitates the look of a 1950s dial with applied markers, except of course the markers here were painted instead.
    This suggests the repainted design was done during a service in the 1950s and intended to refresh the look of the watch and make it more “contemporary”. this alone would make it hard to find another like it.
    However, the fact you don’t see something on line after looking for a few months or googling for a few minutes doesn’t mean it hasn’t existed. Longines made millions of watches and thousands of references, and in 60 years hundreds of thousands of watches must have vanished or been destroyed.

64Wing and Flaco73 like this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 19, 2019

Crown looks correct!

Flaco73 and Syrte like this.
  6. Flaco73 Dec 3, 2019

Maybe inspiration for redial came from some other luxury brand like this:

omega.jpg

fbf likes this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 3, 2019

This is a redial too. So another one in the same style.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 3, 2019

For future reference in your Longines quests...
    52373624-94F6-4ADA-B93A-AB971E1A2E4D.jpeg

9. Geezer Dec 3, 2019

Despite it being a redial, I think it looks quite attractive. I agree, that the crown looks correct.