Forums Latest Members

looking for information about a Seamaster that I´ve inherited

1. Karlheinz Miklin Nov 12, 2020

Hello everybody.
    I´m new to this forum and don´t know anything about watches. But I´ve recently been gifted an Omega Seamaster with some personal history. My grandfather originally had bought it (assumingly) back in the 60s. When he died in 92 my dad got it and was wearing it on special occasions up to his death 1,5 years ago. It now has been given to me by his widow and I´d like to get some information about it. Especially which year it has been built. But also how much it might be worth approximately. Of course there´s no way I´ll ever be selling it! But I´d like to know if I can "justify" wearing it all the time (which I plan to do) or if that wouldn´t be a good idea. I´ve attached a few pics and can make some more if neccesary. And I´d like to thank anyone who can and cares to help in advance!

IMG_20201112_092023.jpg IMG_20201112_092031.jpg IMG_20201112_092046.jpg IMG_20201112_092054.jpg IMG_20201112_091924.jpg
    Redwes25, ChrisN, inchpincher and 2 others like this.
  2. GordanDaniel Nov 12, 2020

The first thing that i notice is that it is quite polished. It is a nice piece to inherit absolutely. Wear it in good health. It is not worth enough money to hide it in a safe ( i dont think anyway).

Wear it and enjoy it.

Karlheinz Miklin likes this.
  3. Passover Nov 12, 2020

Don't think so...

This reference has a more rounded shape

Case looks good (as far you can see from those pictures), 70ies style
    1101340-378a87209ddca02d84f87790357fa614.jpg

Get it serviced and wear it!!

4. GordanDaniel Nov 12, 2020

Lesson learned, thank you !

5. nicks Nov 12, 2020

Very nice vintage Omega Seamaster Date. I'd say "late 1960s, early 1970s".

Looks like the crown could be a generic replacement; if so, get a suitable Omega replacement when you service it.

Enjoy!

6. TimeODanaos Nov 12, 2020

Welcome, Karlheinz! This is probably the Seamaster known as reference 166.067 (sometimes "166.0067"), from about 1971. The way to know for sure is to ask a friendly watchmaker to open the back (don't attempt this yourself, to avoid damage), because Omega put those details on the inside of the caseback.
    I think this watch could do with a watchmaker's clean on the outside, and therefore probably the inside too, but do not have it mechanically "polished" in any way. Its scratches are marks of honour from a long and interesting life, and polishing actually diminishes its value in the eyes of collectors.
    This model is not especially popular with collectors at the moment, because it does not have the sharp profile that is prized these days, but which was going out of fashion in the early 1970s ("the decade that style forgot"). Some of them do have nice dials though, with either attractive brushing or a sparkle effect - your pictures are not quite good enough to show that, but no matter.
    These can be had for less than 1,000 Eur/US$, so depending on your circumstances, that could be good news. I would not keep it for special occasions, but wear it frequently, in honour of your father and grandfather. Personally, I think these watches are ill-served by a plain black strap, and they can be given new life with a more colorful, casual band - you may like to talk to a watchmaker about that too - s/he can put it on skilfully without scratching the lugs of the watch.
    Wear it in good health!

7. MtV Nov 12, 2020

Beautiful piece you inherited there! If you’re looking for a watchmaker near you, feel free to give us your location. I’m sure that almost wherever you are, someone here will be able to recommend a watchmaker near you who will be able to give you a quote for a service.

8. Walrus Nov 12, 2020

It’s one of the best types of watches, the ones that have memories and meaning

9. Widows Son Nov 14, 2020

Beautiful heirloom!!! Get it serviced and wear it often.

Karlheinz Miklin and Syrte like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 14, 2020

Plus it’s a nice, all steel watch- with a dial that’s in good condition and a case which hasn’t been polished.
    And once you have it serviced it should work great from 5 to 8 years, on a daily basis.

Make sure you take it to a good professional watchmaker, not a jewelery shop. Many people ship watches out to be serviced because it is important to get your watch to someone you can trust.

11. Karlheinz Miklin Nov 15, 2020

Thanks a lot everybody for your thoughts and insights!!
    Actually the watch has been repaired (and I assume (?) cleaned) very recently by a professional company. So I think I´m good to go and have allready started wearing it a few days ago. Looking at it gracing my wrist certainly gives me a different kind of feeling than my usual Garmin Sports watch did :)
    ps should it really be from 71 that would be an extra bonus since that´s my year of birth!

thanks again everybody and keep enjoying your beatiful watches

Passover and TimeODanaos like this.
  12. Karlheinz Miklin Jan 4, 2021

Hello, I´m back with a few more questions..... But first let me wish everybody a great 2021!

On my watch I can´t seem to find a way to change the date setting seperately!? Which means set the time ahead 24hrs to get the date moving to the next number. TI assume that this can´t be meant to be like that? Because if you don´t wear it for a few days and it stops, it takes forever to set it to the correct date again. Might there be something broken`?
    I´va also noticed, thet the watch has started to "run late" for the last (maybe) 2 weeks. Its behind 1-3 minutes at the end of the day - something I didn´t notice before. What could be the reason for that?
    It seems, that i might have to bring it to a watchmaker and would liek to take opportunity of the offer above to get some names based on my adress. I´m living in Graz, Austria.

Thank you very much in advance

13. watchlovr Jan 4, 2021

It should have a quickset function. Pull the crown out all the way and the date should jump one day. Repeat.

Karlheinz Miklin and Passover like this.
  14. MtV Jan 4, 2021

And make sure you’re nowhere close to midnight when doing that.

Karlheinz Miklin and janice&fred like this.
  15. Lancaster Jan 4, 2021

Nice. I inherited used wool socks from my grandfather.

MtV likes this.
  16. TimeODanaos Jan 4, 2021

Wool?? Tha were lucky!

17. bgrisso Jan 4, 2021

once you wear it a bit and get familiar with the various functions and operation, and are sure you are winding it correctly and consistently, etc, if you are seeing a time variation of several minutes per day, I would go back to the place that serviced it, should be under warranty, and have a conversation with them. I’m not an accuracy fetishist, but losing/gaining several minutes per day for a simple movement seems sloppy.

18. Lancaster Jan 4, 2021

You bet. Still have them 40 years later.

19. blueteg Jan 4, 2021

1-3 minutes per day is alot. Like bgrisso recommended, I would take it back to the place that serviced it and ask them to take a look at it.
    While they have it open, ask them if they would be kind enough to photograph the movement. It's nice to have on file if you don't have the ability, tools, or knowledge, to open the case yourself.

20. TimeODanaos Jan 4, 2021

Ensure the watchmaker makes a note or, preferably, takes a photo of the serial number inscribed on the movement. Although it is a far from exact science, the number can give you a good idea of the year of the watch: a number of serial number tables are available, although (leider!) they do not always say the same thing.
    And: +/- 20 seconds/day should be the target for a serviced movement of this quality, imo. :)