Forums Latest Members
  1. epl108 Oct 25, 2016

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I've posted due to school and work, but was with my family this weekend and my dad gave me the watch seen in the images below and said he found it when cleaning out some boxes of my grandfather's things after he passed. I haven't been able to get the back off yet as I don't want to scratch it but am wondering what the experts here can share with me about it from the admittedly poor pictures below.

I'm also on the hunt for someone who will be able to work on this vintage piece (assuming it's mostly original, and worth the time and effort). I live in the Washington DC area, but am willing to send it out if that's my best option. Looks like the face is pretty clean under the badly scratched crystal and as mentioned, I have no idea what's going on inside. The crown does not have an Omega symbol on it so I assume it is a replacement.

IMG_4194.JPG IMG_4195.JPG IMG_4196.JPG IMG_4197.JPG

Thanks all,
    Evan

rickyoung likes this.
  2. TNTwatch Oct 25, 2016

A manual wind in good condition 14K gold case for the US market. A $0.25 inflatable bounce ball from Walmart can be use to open the watch quite easily and safely for more identification info.

3. dialstatic Oct 26, 2016

And an heirloom to boot! Have the movement serviced, a new crystal put in, a nice leather strap put on and you're good to go! The things are even in style now. Don't have it polished!

4. François Pépin Oct 26, 2016

It seems to be a very nice watch!

Maybe a 30 caliber inside, but we need a pic of the movement to tell you more.

5. epl108 Oct 26, 2016

Thanks all for the info so far - please do keep it coming! And I will share pics as soon as I get it opened.

6. epl108 Oct 26, 2016

Also still looking for thoughts on who might be able to give this baby a nice service while keeping an eye on maintaining it's original character? Feel free to PM me with names if you do not want to share with the entire website.

Thanks so much!

7. epl108 Feb 18, 2017

Finally got around to bringing it to a watch maker who was able to get it opened up and snapped a few picks. More to post once it's fully serviced, but here's what I have of the inside for now:

Walters 520-2.jpg Walters 520-3.jpg

There are very faint markings (can't really see in the pic) that say 5-19-61 which could very well be the last time the case was opened.

Any one have any more info about it? It's clearly a cal 520 but I don't know much else - the serial number is 15413480. Everything looks pretty good to me aside from what appears to be a non-oem crown. Also wondering if anyone knows what the correct crown is?

Thanks again!

Walters 520-1.jpg