Forums Latest Members
  1. riceman Jul 13, 2017

Hi all! I've been lurking around this forum for some time now and have been quite impressed with the breadth of knowledge on display. I tend to read much more than post in the various watch forums I frequent and am a new member here but I hope that, nonetheless, someone out there with much more smarts under the hood than me might have an answer for me.

I have had my late father's "bowl watch" for some time now and have, over the last few years, tried to figure out the best way to get it in good enough shape to wear a little more. It is still all original at this point except for the crown - a 470 calibre in a gold-filled/steel back case reference F6296. Because the gold has separated from the base metal in a couple spots, I have been trying to find another case - preferably stainless, although another 6296 would work as well - that I can use as a sub. The problem I've encountered, however, is that I cannot seem to find another F6296 and most cases that were made for the smaller movements like the 470 won't accommodate the larger dial that came with the watch. The movement still runs like a champ and the original dial with the bowl name and year is well preserved and, of course, has great sentimental value. My question is does anyone have a recommendation as to a particular case reference that will work? The larger cases I have tried in which that the dial fits correctly won't also properly hold the movement and I don't want to cut down the dial. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. DON Jul 13, 2017

Thats the problem with some Omega models. In order to use that movement and dial. You need to find the same case

There are places that say they can restore gold filled cases, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Too hot and area will turn black or melt.

When I had some worn cases. I would file a bit and then sand to feather the worn areas into the clean ones and then replate the case. Problem is. Plating does not have the same warm glow of gold filled

Just keep searching Ebay for the reference number. Also Ebay UK, Germany and Italy and maybe something will pop up

DON

3. riceman Jul 14, 2017

Thanks for the reply! I have a feeling that is going to end up being my only cost-effective option as well, unfortunately. With all the variations out there it just seems like there should be at least one other case reference out there that would accommodate that configuration - just drives me crazy! As for restoration, I was told that "cold welding" might work but the trick is finding someone who actually knows what they are doing and who does not charge so much for the job that it becomes cost prohibitive. Of course, I assume that if I ultimately decide that I am willing to pay for it, the folks in Bienne could make it happen as well.

4. No Mercy Jul 14, 2017

Could you take photos damages of the case? I will take a look if I can help.