Forums Latest Members

Looking for guidance on Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

1. Compass Rose Apr 29, 2014

Hi all. I want to get my husband an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for our 10th anniversary next year, but did a quick online search and was quickly overwhelmed by the variety and range in prices.

I'm hoping that someone here might offer some insight into the types of Moonwatches available, the best place(s) to buy one, and how to avoid counterfeits or other pitfalls.

Thanks in advance!

2. NiklasARvid Apr 29, 2014

If he is not into vintage watches, get him a real moonwatch, standard setup with black dial, black tachymeter and the manually wound 861 caliber from 1970- onwards, most classic, good price and most stylish imho, reference numbers are 145.022, 3570.50 and possibly some later ones that I am no expert in

this forums sales corner would be my recommendation for place of purchase:
    http://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/

[​IMG]

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 29, 2014

Great gift! And more appreciated here no doubt, where we're all a bit nuts for watches.;)

My best advice... Contact member Kringkily here on the forums. You can do that via private message. Tell George what you want and your budget, and I am sure he will help you find something that fits the bill. :thumbsup:

George is a very well-known and regarded seller here and other watch forums, and specializes in Speedmaster moon watches.

Good luck with the hunt, and congratulations on the anniversary.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 29, 2014

Solid advice.

go with a trusted seller, unless you wish to "go deep" into the knowledge pool.

the plethora of models Omega labeled Speedmaster following the success of the 69 moon landings has produced a confusion.

my advice, is to stick to the true "Moonwatch" or it's modern equivalent.

Ignore all automatics.

5. Jimmy Jim Apr 29, 2014

+1 on both of these!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2014

+1 on above, 3570.50 is the way to go

7. Compass Rose Apr 29, 2014

Thanks very much for the input! This is very helpful.

Darlinboy likes this.
  8. toddmp Apr 29, 2014

I would ask why in particular does he want a speedmaster? is it due to the space race? any particular nasa mission he is a fan of? racing? arctic exploration?

there are a few "commemorative" editions out there if he was a particular fan of one aspect of the speedmasters legacy.

9. g-boac Apr 29, 2014

Congratulations! Two great candidates come to mind: if he is a fan of vintage watches AND a fan of the space program, then a nice Speedmaster Professional Ω321 reference ("model number") 105.012 or 145.012 is the way to go; if he's a fan of the space program, but would love a brand new watch, then a Speedmaster Professional reference ("model number) 3570.50.00, which is the current-day production version of the moonwatch, is the way to go. Generally speaking, I advise people against purchasing "special editions" or "commemorative" editions of watches if it's their first piece, because if you can only have one, generally the regular production version is the way to go - and its easiest to resell if ever necessary to do so one day.

cheers,
    Mark