Forums Latest Members

Looking for any info on this Vintage 1956 Omega

1. CyndiS Aug 7, 2020

I know it's a real Omega, as I took it to the Omega Boutique in Mars, PA and had it authenticated. But, he said he had never seen one, took a few photos and sent me on my way. I found one with similarities on an auction site, but not this exact one. I have looked high and low and just can't find much. So, I thought maybe someone here could help? The hand stamped engraving on the back of the case says "Champion 1960" . The lettering above the picture on the face says Los Angeles Basketball Classic. It's an automatic. Any help would be appreciated.

DSC01182.JPG DSC01184.JPG DSC01186.JPG DSC01189.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG
    Bencherman and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Aug 8, 2020

It's probably a custom aftermarket dial in a watch presented to the winner(s) of some tournament. It is not unheard of in US watches of that era.

DaveK, lindo, OmegaP99 and 2 others like this.
  3. krogerfoot Aug 8, 2020

We have seen a few examples of custom-dialed 1960s-era Omega and Rolex watches presented to athletes, especially football teams.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/1964-cotton-bowl-classic-omega.106779/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vin...assic-commemorative-watch-florida-vs-gt.6721/
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...959-baltimore-colts-world-ch-194-c-343423d9f3

They seem like they'd be fun to own, though unfortunately the customized dials are mostly indifferently executed, which contributes to detracting from their value to collectors. Your watch looks like it led a hard life. It would be nice to see a shot of the caseback stamp.

DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 8, 2020

As you may already be aware that it is a US production case with a US spec lower Jewel count (17j) 500 calibre movement. This makes sense when you consider the logo.

You might want to look at the team who won that tournament in 1960 in case there is someone noteworthy there. I haven’t a clue about basketball personally.

Duracuir1 and DaveK like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2020

Good idea :thumbsup:
    It also should be noted that watches with gold filled cases are less valuable to collectors because of their potential for wear and damage.
    Gold filled watches that are in top condition of course would fare better.

It’s still a high quality movement and the watch is kind of funky, if the watch has sentimental value, someone might enjoy wearing it if you can get it serviced by an independent watchmaker near you.
    However if the watch has no sentimental value as a family heirloom, the damage is too significant on the dial and the case to warrant a service.

Note that an Omega service would far exceed the value of the watch, even if it belonged to a basketball legend.

Edited Aug 8, 2020
    Duracuir1, krogerfoot and janice&fred like this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2020

You can buy a program from the 1960 Los Angeles Basketball Classic here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324137231731Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

upload_2020-8-8_8-42-14.jpeg

It was one of the larger college basketball invitational tournaments of the time with 8 teams, including both major schools in Los Angeles.

Looks like they treated the winners right.
    gatorcpa

Shabbaz, gemini4, Duracuir1 and 7 others like this.
  7. CyndiS Aug 8, 2020

The back of the case. The watch works, and does need a deep clean. I am not really looking for the value of the watch though LOL I was just hoping for a little history. I am pretty sure UCLA won that tournament.

DSC01185.JPG
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2020

Depending on where you live what you call “A deep clean” may cost several hundred dollars- more than the watch is worth.
    So you do need to figure out why you want it cleaned.
    If it has sentimental value it is priceless and may be worth the cost.
    If not, you do have to ask yourself if you’re prepared to pay over 300 dollars to service a watch which is worth less than that.
    PS I’m assuming you’re in California or at least in the US considering the dial design, but of course if you’re elsewhere servicing costs may vary.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2020

UCLA lost in the championship game of that tournament to Iowa on December 30, 1960.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960–61_UCLA_Bruins_men's_basketball_team

UCLA did not have a very good (by their standards) record that year, but a couple of years later started a run of 10 national championships in 13 years.

Hope this helped,
    gatorcpa

10. janice&fred Aug 8, 2020

East Coast USA.

Syrte likes this.
  11. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 8, 2020

@gatorcpa : Nicely done. You are the Omega Forum InvestiGator!

Another half an hour and you’ll post a photo of the original owner being presented with the watch!

Shabbaz, noelekal and OmegaP99 like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2020

He’s here somewhere...
    upload_2020-8-8_13-24-41.jpeg

Note the caption on the picture.

Close enough?
    gatorcpa

TimeODanaos, KLXN, Shabbaz and 7 others like this.
  13. CyndiS Aug 8, 2020

Thank you.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  14. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 8, 2020

CE79AD95-BA4A-4916-971A-F72AC9ABDB58.jpeg
    Twenty one minutes. :thumbsup:

I wonder what the family of Coach Sharm knows about this dial? Do they have one of these?

::popcorn::

OmegaP99 and Syrte like this.
  15. Dan S Aug 8, 2020

The coach looks pre-pubescent.

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2020

And once you find the family of the original owner the watch is worth servicing :thumbsup:

noelekal, krogerfoot and airansun like this.
  17. krogerfoot Aug 8, 2020

Too bad the designer of the program cover didn’t have a hand in laying out the dial.

18. statsman Jun 8, 2021

Hey, Don Nelson was on that team. Pretty cool!

19. Brian Runge Feb 25, 2022

I happen to have one of those watches. My father played for Iowa in the late 50s and early sixties. I had that watch serviced for my Dad many years ago. His had sat in a drawer for years. After a service it looked and ran like new. He wore it daily for years afterword. When he passed, I inherited the watch. I now wear that watch and his lettermans ring when I attend Iowa sporting events and think about the times Dad and I attended them together. I would imagine that there were about 20 of those watches made and given to players, coaches and other staff associated with the team.

gatorcpa likes this.
  20. statsman Feb 25, 2022

That’s awesome! I believe these watches were made to be worn, and it’s a great tribute to your dad.