Forums Latest Members

Looking for advice on Ingenieur dial & case

1. vintage hab Jan 16, 2021

Hi,
    I'm considering an early Ingenieur 666A for sale on another site. It's in great condition for it's age. I was hoping for some feedback from the expert community.

What I see:
    1. Missing lume dot at 6
    2. "sparklie" dial finish (not sure what official name is), that I've never seen on early Ingenieur
    3. lug edges seem rounded, but I believe based on comparisons that this is original and not excessive polishing

I appreciate any thoughts that you may have. Cheers!

Ingenieur 16Jan2021 B.jpg Ingenieur 16Jan2021 A.jpg

2. vintage hab Jan 16, 2021

Seller advises that the dial is NOS replacement from original stock. Is it common to keep dials for 60 years on the shelf?!?

anyone have thoughts on this dial & case?

3. Dan S Jan 16, 2021

At first glance, the printing on the dial looks good to me, but the lume on dial and hands doesn't look sufficiently aged, even for NOS parts. It gives me a funny feeling, but I really can't say anything is wrong. Those photos really don't allow an evaluation of the case, but my gut feeling is that it is a bit soft. You would need to show photos at angles and from the side if you really want us to judge the case,

Shabbaz and vintage hab like this.
  4. Shabbaz Jan 16, 2021

How does he know it's a NOS replacement? I have some doubts about this. These iwc dials are often refinished and sometimes it's very hard to see this. The white color of the dial, the lume that's so crisp on the dial and the hands, hmmm... At the other hand, like @Dan S said, the script looks quite good.

vintage hab likes this.
  5. vintage hab Jan 17, 2021

Seller claims to work at IWC boutique, and watch was overhauled in ‘18 with NOS dial and hands.
    I appreciate your comments. It’s giving me much pause. I may bid if price remains quite low, but I sense bidding will pick up at end of auction & I’ll pass.

6. asrnj77 Jan 18, 2021

Are those NOS radium hands?

You already know that it’s not totally original so I think it just comes down to price and what makes you comfortable

vintage hab and Spruce like this.
  7. Servius Jan 19, 2021

To me it look redone.

I don’t like the font thickness of the arrow framing the « Ingenieur ».. And from the top of my head there’s a space between the arrowhead and the line, not here... You add this to the general apparent texture of the dial, and the color of the lume.... :cautious:

But I’m sure that far more knowledgeable members will chime in ::popcorn::

vintage hab and Tony C. like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 19, 2021

Not a genuine NOS dial, in my view. It appears to be a redial, and not a very good one. Among other things, the INGENIEUR signature is thick and crude, and the dial finish is incorrect.

The case has been polished, but we would need different angles to judge the extent and quality of the polish.

Use this original dial as a reference:

bhyb.png

Edited Jan 19, 2021
  9. vintage hab Jan 19, 2021

Thanks all for your input. I also got some advice from @MikeMan2727
    - agree that the "Ingenieur" is too thick and there should be a gap between the arrow & line
    - lume is most likely luminova and not the period correct radium

I had bid on it but got out of it. I learned a lot here. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Ron_W likes this.
  10. roseskunk Jan 19, 2021

Wow. Seeing this makes me reaffirm my rule to not buy vintage. I'm way out of my wheelhouse.

11. vintage hab Jan 19, 2021

I know, eh. Absolutely brutal. I could say more but I don’t want to publicly embarrass anyone.
    Thank goodness for OF. The tone of this forum and helpfulness of members is incredible. Hope I can give back a fraction of what I’ve gotten from this forum in only 8 months.

Ron_W and roseskunk like this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 20, 2021

Dial is repainted. the arrow on Ingenieur gives it away ..... hands look ok. rest not enough pictures. Kind regards. Achim

vintage hab likes this.
  13. Ron_W Jan 20, 2021

From my conversations with the TS and a better view of the sellers pics and the IWC service letter i would say it is an official IWC service dial. IWC wouldnt risk reputation for a dodgy one off repaint, and have a whole cabinet full of service dials. From my picture here of the first series 666 you can see the font is similair - although different- but definitely `fatter` print than later versions. A later production date of the service dial would explain the different lume dots, more white/green and if it was never exposed to light it would look like the service dial from the seller.
    All of no importance as the TS wants originality so this is not a watch for him. But if you want a brand new serviced watch with documentation, this may be it ! Good hunting !

IWC_First-Ingenieur-Automatic-1955_Ref.-666.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 20, 2021

Thanks for your opinion, but I remain skeptical.

It is, of course, true that IWC has outsourced the manufacturing of the Ingenieur dials over several decades, and that there are some differences between them depending on when, and where they were produced. I would also agree that some later dials featured thicker fonts. The problem, though, is that the thickness of the font is not the only issue with the subject dial. The lowest point of the top half of the lightning logo nearly touches the "N" in INGENIEUR. That is not a characteristic that I can recall having seen previously, though perhaps there was a run of "official" dials produced with it. If so, it would be disappointing that they would have passed IWC's quality control, and for what should be obvious reasons.

For context, here is a later, thicker example, which is correct. Note the differences:

ing765.png

Secondly, the finish on the dial face is inconsistent with any ref. 666 original dial that I have ever seen, and I've seen many. I bought my first 666 ~25 years ago, and have probably owned around 10. I cannot recall a single original or service dial having had any sort of texture similar to the subject watch. Silver sunburst finish? Yes. Flat finishes? Yes. But not this (apparent) type.

So, while I cannot rule out the possibility that there was a relatively recent run of service dials produced to a low standard, and which are disappointingly dissonant with the original, I'm not convinced that this is a genuine IWC service dial, no matter what the seller may claim.

Finally, in discussions such as these, the most compelling way for those who support the claim that the dial is genuine to bolster their position is to find other examples online and share them. Can anyone find a dial closely resembling the OP's dial? There are many 666 images floating around.

Edited Jan 20, 2021
  15. Ron_W Jan 20, 2021

Dear Tony,
    It is not my opinion but i merely state the facts from the seller with iwc service letter and extract signed by David Seyffer. That means all other views are mere opinions and not even sound ones. Your claim is ; not having seen one before ` and that doesnt hold much substance.

The IWC letters are the facts, and the burden of proof to state otherwise lies with the opposition ! Not all owners post pictures on the web, far less than 50% i would say and none from those early years as internet was not arround then. Lots of pictures of fakes floating around as well so that argument is not valid for me. There was even a special `ghost` dial made for a customer recently discovered, never seen before !! We just dont know. Frizzleweb shows dozens of variations, with different producers and fonts through the years etc etc. Why judge so quickly on the few pictures posted here ??

The seller has documentation to support it is a service dial and if you dont have proof of the opposite, let it go. The dial texture is strange but could be as simple as light distortion in photography, a greasy crystal, or a grained dial who knows. No one here `has seen it all` let alone a new watch from that first year and if David Seyffer signed of on the extract plus the serviceletter it is good enough for me. What is important here is the TS request and it is now clear we agree it is a not an original but service dial and he wants an original watch.

Here are some more font examples but i dont think this is a definitive list :)

70d0d0a9d73ec9ba1aaf215a6deb275e56fce389.jpg
  16. Ron_W Jan 20, 2021

And some had Swiss Made on the dial in 1958/9 to make it more confusing.....

666 AD pie pan 1959 cal 8531 swiss made 3.jpg
  17. Ron_W Jan 20, 2021

Ghost dial , credit Monochrome

Unique-IWC-Ingenieur-666A-nude-dial-4.jpg
  18. Shabbaz Jan 20, 2021

Those iwc dials are very hard to judge. There seems to be more inconsistenties then most of the omega dials.

Ron_W likes this.
  19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 20, 2021

Ron –

First of all, a service letter from IWC does not guarantee that the dial in a seller's watch is necessarily the same dial that was used as a replacement. Secondly, the set of signatures that you provided is irrelevant, as I did not question the upper signature.

I asked if anyone could provide a single example of a similar dial, and thus far neither you, or anyone else has. It's far too early to say that there aren't any other examples online, but if there aren't, it would obviously not be supportive of the claim that it is genuine. What was the date of service on the letter?

Anyone who has researched and collected Ingenieurs over a long period of time can tell you that there are no "early" examples that closely resemble the subject dial. And if it is a service dial, it was obviously created relatively recently. So early examples are relevant only for context, highlighting how far from the original standard the OP's example is.

Where on earth did you get the idea that I was judging based on the "few pictures posted here"? Did you miss the part where I noted that I bought my first 666 25 years ago? The ghost dial is correct, with regard to the printing, and is an original dial, so it is not relevant.

I agree that better photos would be helpful, but this is obviously not a crystal issue. The OP used the phrase "sparkle" dial. Did the seller refute that characterization? How does he characterize it? If it is, in fact, such a dial, it would be inconsistent with every 666 dial that I have ever seen, both in person, or online. Which begs the question, why would IWC choose such a departure from the original, when providing contemporary service dials?

The first part is a straw man, as no one has made any such claim, and you have made it very clear that the service letter is good enough for you.

Finally, assuming that the service was relatively recent (again, a date would be helpful), why would the dial be missing the lume plot below the 6?

20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 20, 2021

Again: not an IWC service dial. A repaint. Just compare the lightning bolt. Kind regards. Achim