Forums Latest Members
  1. DaveR Jan 8, 2018

Greetings all,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has become a bit obsessed with the Speedmaster after hearing of it's history and ties to NASA. For the past 2 years I've been reading about and doing my best to learn what I could about the watch and it's history all while saving up the pennies to buy one. For a variety of reasons (step dial, 861 movement, 1171 bracelet etc) and the fact that my birth year is '70, I'd like to get a '70..... or at least close.

As I get close to having the pennies required, I'm paying more attention to the for sale sections of the forums, Chrono24, eBay and other on-line sellers.

Yesterday, I came across an ad that looks quite promising but, it's a private seller that I don't personally know. He's a couple hour drive away so, a bit tougher to just go have a quick look, so to speak. I understand and appreciate that a book could be written about the potential pit falls and dangers of buying from an "unknown" entity but, if some of the more experienced collectors here could share one or two common mistakes made by a newbie, like myself, I'd appreciate it.

If anyone is curious, the attached pics are of the watch in question. Pics aren't great and I've messaged the seller asking for more pics. Is there something specific that I should ask for a pic of? I've asked for a better pic of the dial, caseback and if possible the movement. I've also asked if the watch has been serviced. No box or papers, sadly.

I could post a link to the add but, not sure if that's appreciated here. If anyone would like that link, just let me know and I could provide that.

Appreciate the time, Gentlemen.

Cheers,
    Dave

ps: one thing that does concern me...... I can't seem to see the logo in the center of the hesalite. It may just be that it's a bad pic but, could it be a replacement sapphire crystal?

speedy 1.JPG speedy 2.JPG speedy 3.JPG speedy 4.JPG speedy 5.JPG speedy 6.JPG speedy 7.JPG speedy 8.JPG
    Nathan1967 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 8, 2018

Looks pretty good for a later -71 production. Dials slightly mossy but presents well with matching hands.

There is some hand damage though. It honestly comes down to price

DaveR, Nathan1967 and BenBagbag like this.
  3. mr_yossarian Jan 8, 2018

..and I see the Omega logo, look close :)

Candle00, Nathan1967 and Taddyangle like this.
  4. Davidt Jan 8, 2018

A couple of things;

1. I don't find that a particularly attractive example. I know the late 60's/early 70's Speedmasters often have the minty coloured lume but this dial is unattractive to me. Plys, the hands, bezel, case, everything is just average. I'd wait for a better one.

2. You mentioned you were born in 1970. If you want a birth year Speedmaster, a 29 or possibly 30mil 145.022-69 would be a better bet as a birth year watch for you.

Edited Jan 8, 2018
    Nathan1967, Foo2rama and mr_yossarian like this.
  5. Nathan1967 Jan 8, 2018

Hi Dave

If you’re searching in earnest I would study Speedmaster101.com carefully, if you’re not already. Plenty of nuggets!
    I would also look to verify movement No. with reported age of the Watch using ilovemyspeedmaster.com.
    Finally, if it was my money I would buy from the Sales Forum on OF - it’s the best that there is and you’re not subsidising dealers livelihoods or gambling with eBay!

All the best

Nathan

DaveR and mr_yossarian like this.
  6. DonovanMartin Jan 8, 2018

Sounds like you’re trying to do your homework on the purchase before you jump into it. Many of us have done it in reverse order and ended up taking longer to land what we wanted at a bigger cost. There is always something new to learn. If you haven’t acquired Moonwatch Only it is also a great resource to have in hand. If you settle for one that need a little something else it may end up costing more thank a little. Patience!

Nathan1967 likes this.
  7. jetkins Jan 8, 2018

636758D4-A6FE-4C31-94B4-CD48B5B0C466.jpeg
    7538921A-F1B5-4D9C-A8D9-259389724E27.jpeg The logo is there.

DaveR likes this.
  8. DaveR Jan 8, 2018

Excellent points all..... thanks!

Seller is asking $5000 CAD. While that price isn't a "OMG GOTTA RUN GET IT NOW" kinda price, it does seem to be slightly better than typical. That said, if there are issues with it, it's not worth close to that. Hence the questions here.

I will be comparing the pics I get from the seller with my copy of Moonwatch Only.

Agreed...... sadly, from what I've seen, the price can jump a couple grand for those years. I'm willing to give up a year or two if the right deal comes along. Also, willing to spend a bit extra for the right deal.

Yep, I'm trying to do my research. I know, from experience, that rushing in can cost me more in the long run.
    I'll update here as I learn more
    So much fun learning along the way. Thanks again folks

Dave

Nathan1967 and mr_yossarian like this.
  9. maxbelg Jan 9, 2018

Non-Omega crystals for these watches are also Hesalite and not Sapphire. Apparently the case is a little different on the models with Sapphire crystal so that you can't replace a Hesalite crystal with a Sapphire crystal.

DaveR likes this.