Forums Latest Members
  1. Jared7 Jun 11, 2017

I've been looking at a lot of different places to buy a vintage seamaster but I'm having a hard time believing if they are real. Curious if anyone has a legit source that they use. Thanks.

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 11, 2017

You should buy here. Check out the for sale listings and send a private message if interested. Good luck.

Spacefruit and marco like this.
  3. Davidt Jun 11, 2017

If you're new to vintage watches, I'd recommend the FS section here. There are vintage watch shops online, but you'll pay a dealer premium plus many are economical with the truth about what is correct and unrestored (such as the dial). Bargains and great watches are available on ebay but they're few and far between, with over priced, over restored or worn out pieces of crap being the norm. You need a steady hand and good knowledge of the watches you're looking at to buy with confidence in eBay.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. Jared7 Jun 11, 2017

Ok, thank you!

5. bnabod Jun 11, 2017

Be vary wary of sellers selling watches that have been service yet cannot product a certificate of what was done, changed and when. I just went through this w a mkII and even though the watch was allegedly serviced it had a broken mainspring and last time it looked like it was serviced was 1970.

6. noiseboyuk Jun 11, 2017

+1 re buying from this Forum sales section.
    The enthusiastic nature of the forum members is your assurance of legitimacy.
    Must less chance of being 'fleeced' here.

Larry S and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  7. Edward53 Jun 11, 2017

There are many different types of vintage Seamaster. Did you have any particular type in mind? Automatic or manual? Something like the one in your avatar? People might be able to offer more help if they know what country you're in.

8. lillatroll Jun 11, 2017

Buying from here is probably the safest bet, this is first and foremost a collector community and not much gets past the scrutiny of OF members, that being said, it is still important to do some research and make sure you have some idea about what you are buying and what you should pay.

Larry S likes this.
  9. Jared7 Jun 11, 2017

Yeah, I've been looking at the '60s Seamasters. And I think that I may have found one in FS.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 12, 2017

Buy with confidence here. Community and reputation is paramount.

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 12, 2017

The sales forum here is great because it is open to the scrutiny of watchmakers and collectors who are expert in the particular reference that you are interested in. Even if, less informed, members offer information that is not quite accurate, this is quickly 'flagged up' and corrected by the senior members.

I haven't bought or sold anything on here yet. but I have been following sales posts for some months now and it seems to work very well. Why don't you keep an eye on things, and get the hang of how it works for a while, before jumping in at the 'deep end'???;)

Edited Jun 12, 2017
    ahartfie and Spacefruit like this.