Forums Latest Members

Looking for a Connie - Advice on some options appreciated!

1. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster - love the site and all the wonderful knowledge I have picked up from visiting it.

I am In the market for a SS Constellation Pie Pan (ideally 168.005) and obsessed is probably a better description of how badly I want to find one! I have been looking for quite some time now.

As people here advise I have been waiting for one in the right condition and may have found one as per the following link (no movement pics!!) that I thought looked the part. Can I ask for input on both the watch and dealer if people have experience of buying from them?

https://www.austinkaye.co.uk/vintag...ainless-steel-automatic-watch-aged-dial?back=

Thanks
    J

Edit - here is an example of one I would love and that I am kicking myself I missed recently - https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-pie-pan-dog-leg-168-005.53003/

Edited Mar 10, 2017
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 10, 2017

3. Vicke Mar 10, 2017

Dial looks correct, and parts are original. Serviced by Omega should mean a good movement.
    Howerver the case is heavily polished and price is in the wrong end of the £1xxx price range.

The one efauser linked to is !!!, go get it before some else does.

Edited Mar 10, 2017
    WatchmakerTheory and Johnny_H like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Mar 10, 2017

You simply will not find a Constellation for sale at a dealer (or a re-seller, as I like to think of them) that anyone in here will endorse. Fact is that they are priced at roughly 3-4X market price - or at least, private market prices... For next to no additional gain. "Collectors" as most here are, are all about the "collecting" aspect of the hobby, meaning that most of us would rather wait to find the right specimen at the right price rather than shell out large amounts of cash to satisfy an immediate craving for a nice, vintage watch.

Bear that in mind when asking for advice here.

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 10, 2017

Hello and welcome

Presume you meant 168.005

Austin Kaye are very expensive and frequently not good value for money
    The watch is correct but 2 grand for this watch is ludicrous
    Spotty dial, polished lugs case and bezel and replacement crown - it's a sub £1000 watch at best IMHO (even with a service)

The one mentioned above is a rare beauty but gold capped not SS and in the States so importing it would cost around 25% more

Hang in there - decent doglegs do come up at a reasonable price

And do as you've done here - post your targets for review and we'll help you steer through the minefield

WatchmakerTheory and Johnny_H like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 10, 2017

Still less than he was willing to spend on the piece in the OP.

7. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

Edward53 and WatchmakerTheory like this.
  8. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

It was the peace of mind of the 2 year warranty that was helping me justify the increased cost I guess.

Plus I was assuming a 10/15% haggling discount.

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 10, 2017

Agreed
    But the OP's watch is f'kin rip off
    It really boils my piss when I see 'respectable' retailers peddling their sub standard goods for rediculous prices
    Austin Kaye are based in the centre of London and price their watches accordingly - but if you pay a premium you should at least get value for money

Johnny_H likes this.
  10. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

Thank you kindly for the feedback and yes, I'll continue asking for feedback. Te advice I have gleaned here has already saved me from jumping in with redials or frankens to date!

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 10, 2017

You might want to add your desire for a SS connie to the OP.

OMGRLX and Johnny_H like this.
  12. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

Fair point :) Done

efauser likes this.
  13. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 10, 2017

Both are overpriced, IMHO.

Johnny_H likes this.
  15. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

cristos71 likes this.
  16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 10, 2017

I like the one on the RolexForums. I would wait for @Peemacgee to respond because he's more knowledgeable. Not sure about the price. I think it's a couple hundred high but let him confirm.

Johnny_H likes this.
  17. ConElPueblo Mar 10, 2017

I agree on the "couple hundred high" and would add that it has the wrong hands. Those on it now are without luminous material, which, naturally, is wrong for a dial with tritium lume plots. That the seller states they are original is... Odd. It should be pretty clear.

I would have liked the case to be better, especially at that price. That said, it does come with a BoR, and with the way prices on steel, pie-pan dialled Constellations have moved recently, I wouldn't be surprised that this was the new normal.

Johnny_H likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Mar 10, 2017

Also... Are the dial furniture on these white gold? I don't seem to recall that.

Reading the sales blurb, the seller comes across as a... Seller.

Johnny_H likes this.
  19. Johnny_H Mar 10, 2017

This is the kind of info I just don't possess myself. Thank you for the direction!

I said I was done but I have one more I want to ask about ;)

Does that cyclops glass make sense?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/381990416701Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 10, 2017

first one -not a jumbo - a 168.004 hidden crown
    dial just beginning to bubble
    slightly soft case
    whilst I have a particular fondness for this style of Connie, it is not as popular as other case styles and/or with Pie-pans
    definitely overpriced

second one
    good case
    heavily patinated dial
    replacement crown
    a full set is very much a 'nice to have' and does add value/cost but box doesn't look like a Connie box
    much too expensive with that dial IMHO

BartH likes this.