Forums Latest Members

Look what parked beside me!

1. Atalien2005 Jun 12, 2017

IMG_0187.JPG
    Guess it's a omen that I need to buy a plane load of watches.

VicLeChic, Euxinus, Cad290 and 2 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

I had to google that, I had no idea you could get military air to air refuelling in the yellow pages... that's rather mind boggling

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  3. arcadelt Jun 12, 2017

Interesting. Who apart from the military does air-to-air refuelling?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

Other people's military, like ours (Australia) apparently. I don't know how you order such a thing, I'm assuming its sort of like Uber and you pull up the app in your stealth bomber and they route a DC-10 with a smiling picture of your tanker driver, "Hector" who offers you bottled water and confectionary.

5. arcadelt Jun 12, 2017

Huge investment for a limited customer base. Australia actually has five refuellers, so I'd be surprised if we were customers, but it makes sense that air forces around the world that don't have tankers might need these contractors from time to time.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2017

It's just a sign of the military trying to cut costs by outsourcing non-core warfighting tasks.

Smart cookies pushing tankers for the USAF see an opportunity with a company in development and it corners a market.

I remember seeing fully loaded (armament/stores) F4s taking off and heading straight for a tanker because they couldn't meet MTOW if they were fully fuelled so it was get airborne, get gassed up and off they went.

Many missions went that way and I suspect they still do so the tankers out of harms way help keep the dollars down.

ahartfie and Atalien2005 like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

http://australianaviation.com.au/2010/12/airbus-misses-raaf-kc-30-mrtt-delivery-deadline/

We do now but they were late it appears, which is why the RAAF brought Omega tankers in to handle it in the interim.

arcadelt likes this.
  8. Atalien2005 Jun 12, 2017

I thought with the downturn of the Swiss Watch Industry, that Omega decided to diversify their portfolio. ::stirthepot::

kkt likes this.
  9. corn18 Jun 12, 2017

I only see probe and drogue (the pod under the wing) and no boom, so not USAF or any USAF derivative customers. ROW is all probe and drogue if they have in-flight refueling capability. I can see the US using contractors for training gas, but not for combat gas.