Forums Latest Members

LONGINES HOUR ANGLE LINDBURGH

1. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

Just sent this wonderful watch. Need expert help, please. Watch has all original stuff?? Case is aprox 34mm, 10 K gold filled. Owned by very early US pilot. License signed by Orville Wright, Number around 150. Pilot evidently had trouble reading hours (Roman Numerals), so had them over painted with heavy black paint. Can see a few small parts of original numbers . Most unusual (I assume it was something personal) he had the 15 degree marker changed to 13..?? I have seen several other GF models with the same minute hand that is on mine, but they have been deemed as not original. Might the US made ones came with a different hour hand. Also other movements have a different item with name, serial 3, etc. See scans, please. Thoughts. Kind regards, Jim...

DSC06378.JPG DSC06379.JPG DSC06380.JPG
  2. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

Additional thoughts. Watch came directly from his estate. No one fooled with it. As you can see I haven't even cleaned it yet. Unsure if leather band is original, or if he had to change during lifetime. The plastic crystal has a lot of small scratches and one larger one down by 7-8. Inside case marked "Cased & Timed in USA by Longines". I'll take another photo with the hands separated. Sorry. Jim...

3. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

New photo with the hands separated. Jim...

DSC06381.JPG
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 19, 2018

Hi,
    What do you mean by « just sent this watch »?
    Did you buy it, sell it or both?
    Not sure about what you characterize as unusual patterns.
    However the dial is refinished, the crown is a replacement, and the gold plating is damaged.
    So its value as a collectable item is limited, gold plated and gold filled examples are not so rare, but the important thing is that like it and that you like its history.
    Best regards
    S

Darlinboy and adi4 like this.
  5. Dan S Aug 19, 2018

It’s an interesting story. Is there documentation of it? Not doubting it, but without photos or other connections it’s hard to prove provenance.

6. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

To "S" I assume you are an expert on this watch. I guess most of the others I researched were also bad by your description. Damaged I don't see where. As to my "just sent" I apologize that I was so ambiguous. I meant I was just sent... One thing I can argue it is gold filled not plated., Also the others I looked at had to my untrained eye.the same size, style crowns as mine does.
    thanks for you assistance. Jim...

7. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

Don S. Understand your concerns. I bought the majority of his estate. I have his set of pilots logs, his personal photo album from about 1923 or so, letters, a few checks, an original pilots license from 1935. His pre deceased cousin's Pilots Logs and one of his original pilots license. They were partners in a number of things. Jim C. LTC USA ret.

Dan S likes this.
  8. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Aug 19, 2018

I’d pay attention to “S”! I cant speak to which 33mm Longines hour angles you compared yours to, but the dial is clearly refinished and the time setting crown a replacement.

Rumar89 and Syrte like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 19, 2018

Here’s what a nice all original Lindbergh Hour Angle should look like:

3B5DEE5B-9A4B-4AFC-82B1-E7A1BD7A43C4.jpeg
    http://www.libertas-watch.com/other/13820

Obviously, the original owner used the watch for a very long time. Only natural that the dial deteriorated over the years and it was repainted at some point.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Syrte and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

11. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

LarryG. Thanks for your input. I accept that the dial numbers have been repainted, and that the setting crown has been replaced. I found S's approach to responding very heavy handed and unprofessional. Hence my reaction to his info. But life goes on. Regards Jim...

12. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Aug 19, 2018

Err, hers!
    I can promise you, she’s a great part of OF and with no trace of hostility or ill will.

Darlinboy and Syrte like this.
  13. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

gatocpa. Thanks for your input and photo. The photo pointed out the changed setting crown, among other things. Your photo appears to me is of a larger sized model. Also the steel and GF really look different to my untrained eye. But that might be due to different sizes?? Thanks for taking the time to help me in this matter. Jim....

14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 19, 2018

Firstly, she is not your consultant and therefore does not need to be professional. Secondly, I found her response to be terse, but not hostile.

Enjoy the watch, for what it's worth.

Best,
    D.

Syrte likes this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 19, 2018

Hi @Jim.c., I am sorry you are clearly disappointed with my comments and if I failed to find the words that would have mitigated your disappointment.
    I was very direct— however, if I may argue, so are you. You are presenting a watch with an introduction where you do not state your purpose or who you are, and simply demanding «thoughts» in one word.
    As to my « unprofessionalism », I’m not being paid for the opinion you seek I do my best in the time I have. If you question people’s abilities when they take the time to reply, then may I ask why post here? There are paid appraisers who may provide better « customer service. »
    Best regards

Ps thanks @LarryG and @Modest_Proposal for the kind support.

Edited Aug 19, 2018
    Traveler and airansun like this.
  16. Dan S Aug 19, 2018

I'm going to assume that you will appreciate straight talk. Those of us who spend many, many hours studying tens of thousands of watch dials would say with a very high level of certainty that more than just the the numbers have been repainted. Based on numerous errors, inaccuracies, and misalignments, it's clear that the dial has been painted over and re-finished ... unprofessionally. I think that @Syrte, @gatorcpa, and @LarryG were trying to point this out. The originality of the dial is absolutely critical to the desirability/collectibility of a vintage watch - I can't overstate its importance.

Obviously, you don't have to believe us, but you posted this to a forum of experts to get our opinions, since you indicated "Thoughts." in your initial post. We have no skin in the game or ulterior motives. We are a community of collectors and we are giving you our honest expert opinions. It's still an interesting piece of history and of the pilot's estate as a whole, but because of its condition it's not particularly desirable as a watch, which is naturally the perspective of members of this forum. I understand that this may be disappointing to you, but it is not the nature of OF forum members to sugar-coat the truth. Members of an aviation memorabilia community would probably have a different perspective, and would consider the watch in the context of the larger collection that you purchased.

Syrte, Foo2rama and airansun like this.
  17. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

18. Jim.c. Aug 19, 2018

Thanks to all for the info. I had already figured out that the air people would probably be the way to go. I was looking to learn about the watch from those most interested and educated in the field Again thanks. Oh in passing "D" I believe that by offering a definite opinion one has assumed the position of "consultant" albeit unpaid., therefor professionalism should be observed. Regards to all. JimC...

19. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 19, 2018

Dear consultant Jim C.,

I am no longer have faith in your opinion. Your services are hereby terminated.

Sincerely,
    D.

Syrte likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 19, 2018

I’m still a little confused as to the original poster saying the dial had been redone, then arguing it had not been redone...