Forums Latest Members

Longines Conquest ref. 9044

1. S.H. May 19, 2019

Have you ever bought a watch because the fastening system of the rotor is interesting? I just did. ::screwloose:: Ok, the case and dial looked in good shape, but my offer was not really meant to be accepted...

Here it is (ad pictures, I'll have it within the end of the week):

s-l16003.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l16006.jpg
    s-l16008.jpg

I'd say it not too bad for an impulse buy. Crown look OK (a bit small?), and I wonder if the hands have been relumed. Caseback enamel will have to be redone. Usually, lack of minutes tick marks bother me; I wonder if I will like it when I have it in my hands.

What do you think? Did I do good?

Spruce and Benbradstock like this.
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 19, 2019

Looks like a jewel is missing.

291.1.JPG

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. 77deluxe May 19, 2019

To know if you did well, it would help to know what you paid.

Benbradstock likes this.
  4. S.H. May 19, 2019

s-l16007-.jpg

I don't think the jewel is missing, it should be the lighting and it must be dirty. You made me look though :eek:. I paid 340eur including postage for it, it is advertised as "running perfectly" (meaning it needs at least a service, problems are expected but it ticks) and as I paid with Paypal I should be OK on this front. I never really expect a fully working watch out of the box anyway.

michael22, 77deluxe and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  5. Benbradstock May 19, 2019

If that is indeed lume in the hands of a watch which does not appear to have lume on the dial, it makes me wonder if either the hands are replacements, if lume was added as you suggested, or if the dial was refinished without lume. The dial looks correct, so I suppose the hands could be replacements or have had lume added. I can’t see the caliber on your movement shot, is it a 290? All in all seems like a fair deal congrats!

6. S.H. May 20, 2019

There are 4 small square lume patches at 12-3-6-9, in the usual style already seen on other Longines models. They are slightly darker than the lume in the hands, hence my remark about the possibly relumed hands. I handled a Conquest like this recently, I think I remember this shape for the hands but not sure. Can't see the caliber number but it may be a 291 (290+date).

For ex the 6 and 9 lume patches:

s-l16003-.jpg

s-l16003--.jpg

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. S.H. May 27, 2019

With a new plexi (the other one was badly fitting, wrong tension ring), here it is :

DSC_7053.jpeg

Case sharp and not polished so a few hairline marks and a bump or two, a few moisture pinpoints on the dial, caseback green enamel has to be redone, needs a service. Not bad at all for a 55 years old. The crown may seem small but fits well (the bezel overhangs the case, a bigger crown would be problematic), and has Longines markings.

I asked Longines about it to have some info on Saturday, I had an email this very morning :thumbsup: Can't be faster than this... Turns out it was born in 1964, and invoiced to the Barbados! A long way from France...

Andsan and Benbradstock like this.
  8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 27, 2019

Very nice piece and neat that it went to Barbados.