Forums Latest Members

Longines Chronometer from 1910: What's the purpose of the case?

1. Perdurabo Jan 12, 2022

Hello from Germany!

This is my latest purchase. According to Longines, this movement cal. 21.59 was shipped to Argentina in 1910 together with an individual chronometer certificate from Kew observatory.
    The case was "locally made", but I don't know what for.
    Two hinges that were attached to this case are no longer there, maybe holding a strap to keep the box closed?
    Is this just a display case or was it made for maritime purpose, like an observer watch?
    Any ideas welcome - thanks!

Longines Monarch-01.jpeg Longines Monarch-02.jpeg Longines Monarch-04.jpeg Longines Monarch-05.jpeg Longines Monarch-09.jpeg

Ron_W, fbf, DirtyDozen12 and 2 others like this.
  2. sleepyastronaut Jan 12, 2022

"The timepieces were normally protected from the elements and kept below decks in a fixed position in a traditional box suspended in gimbals (a set of rings connected by bearings). This keeps the chronometer isolated in a horizontal "dial up" position to counter ship inclination (rocking) movements induced timing errors on the balance wheel."

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_chronometer

3. Perdurabo Jan 12, 2022

Thanks! Besides the cardanic suspension most marine chronometers also come with a glass cover and a winding or power reserve indicator, so this box must have a different purpose.
    Some maritime observer watches were made to bring the reference time from the observatory to the ship. These were mainly high grade pocket watches in a wooden box, that's why I'm thinking in that direction.

4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 12, 2022

Chronometer (or chronomètre) traditionally refers to timepieces meant for maritime navigation.

5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 12, 2022

I have no insights on the case but I saw this for sale and was very tempted. Great buy!

P.S. Neat to learn that it was tested at Kew.

J_pilot likes this.