Forums Latest Members

What is the purpose of the red dot on my new Speedmaster Pro?

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 6, 2015

Just wondering what this red dot is all about. Is it some sort of reference mark? Initially, I thought it was just a red speck of debris but upon further inspection it appears to be purposefully placed there.

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. gee_cee May 6, 2015

A seal to show the case back hasn't been removed??

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

Yes. The red dot is placed to note the case has not been opened. It is relevant while the watch is under warranty. After the warranty is passed it is less relevant

Mad Dog likes this.
  4. lwong May 6, 2015

There's some relevance still I think - if you've got a 60s or 70s watch that still has the red dot, it tells you it's time for a service...

I have a flightmaster with the red dot. ::facepalm1::

PatrickJ and Mad Dog like this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

LOL, Yes, of course...it should tell you to not wind it until someone can take a look at it for sure.

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 6, 2015

Got it...thanks a bunch for the info...the learning curve is steep for a dude like myself.

Also, I very recently noticed another "what I initially believed to be a speck of debris" on my new Speedmaster Pro...but this one pretty much explained itself once inspected more closely...the Omega symbol on the underside of the Hesalite crystal. Pretty flipping cool.

image.jpg
    Ron_W and TLIGuy like this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

It is a cool little thing for sure.

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 6, 2015

So here's one for you...is the Omega symbol that's on the underside of the Hesalite crystal purposefully orientated upside down with reference to the 12 o'clock position of the dial? That's the case regarding my Speedmaster Pro...wondering if that's the case with others.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

No, I don't think so. Mine is pointing to 2 O'clock

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. KIMBER May 6, 2015

Please don't be surprised or troubled when the red dot comes off during normal cleaning or any other reason.

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

And here I thought it was to drive cats mad chasing it.

Pastorbottle, Jwit, PatrickJ and 2 others like this.
  12. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 6, 2015

Got it.

Also, I stand corrected...following closer inspection, the bottom portion of the Omega symbol on the underside of the Hesalite crystal points to about 12:15 - 12:20...not 12:00 as previously believed.

image.jpg
    Edited May 6, 2015
    Pnguyen5482 likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

The "red dot" (original when the watch is new) and the "blue dot" (after service at an Omega service center) are drops of model paint. They are not required for your warranty to be intact, as they do come off fairly easily.

Cheers, Al

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 6, 2015

I think the factory is a little less concerned about the Omega symbol orientation than the service center is... mine wasn't straight when new, but after the first service, it was (usually replace the crystal for each service).

Tom

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Maximus84 May 7, 2015

Interesting - I knew about the red dot, but not the blue. When my new Speedy Pro went in for warranty work, they apparently serviced it. The red dot was broken but no blue applied.

16. TLIGuy May 7, 2015

The orientation on the Omega logo is determined by which hemisphere in which the AD is located where the watch will be shipped to. No...Really I read that on the internet.:thumbsup:

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2015

From Omega Work instruction 22 for water resistance testing:

"The blue dot on watches with screw-in case backs is intended to guarantee that the water resistance of a repaired watch has been carefully tested in accordance with Omega instructions. A red dot is placed only on new watches leaving the OMEGA production workshop. Its use is therefore prohibited on the markets."

It's possible they simply don't bother with watches coming back from a warranty repair...

18. chickenman26 May 7, 2015

That's good to know its removal doesn't affect warranty. Yeah, they apparently don't bother replacing a dot after warranty repair. My new day/date came back with no dot.

19. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 7, 2015

WUS no doubt.

timeismoney likes this.
  20. xjeeunitx May 7, 2015

Like what others have said, the red dot is proof that the caseback was never opened. Some service centers will not offer warranty service unless this is present. From my personal experience, I've received service even after the caseback was open but I guess you have to have a legitimate reason.

Mad Dog likes this.