Forums Latest Members

Longines chronograph 8271-2 ?

1. jef33 Jun 10, 2020

Hello,
    Although I made a request to Longines, I would like to have your opinion on this small chronograph

cadran tritium.jpg cadran.jpg calibre 334.jpg fond ext.jpg fond inter.jpg

2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 10, 2020

Firstly, Longines' caliber 334 is a single-pusher, chronograph movement, commonly found in the reference 8612. Secondly, Longines' reference 8271 corresponds to a 3 counter chronograph (caliber 332) with part of a Vernier scale on the second hand. Thirdly, this dial is clearly mimicking 13ZN dials from the 1940's, despite this watch having a serial number that corresponds to a production date of circa 1970. Finally, I believe that this very watch was sold by the notorious Auctionata. I would be shocked if this is not a fake. It seems to be from the same people who came up with the equally "creative" Avigation chronograph.

P.S. Not that any more evidence was needed, but the hands don't even fit the dial. Both minute hand and chronograph second hand are too long.

Mark020, BlueHands and jef33 like this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 10, 2020

My mistake, the running second hand (not the chronograph second hand) is too long.

jef33 likes this.
  4. alphabeta81 Jun 10, 2020

One more thing to note - if you had this exact dial in a correct 13zn case and movement, Longines usually (always) will issue the extract. Longines does not determine if the dial is correct or not before issuing the extract.

So when you say "I made a request to Longines" - I assume you asked for free historical information on the watch, which may say for example: "This is a Ref __ with Calibre __ sold to our agent in __ in the year __" --- notice that alone does not tell you if a watch is genuine or not. I have seen 100s of fake dials with correct extracts where the case and movement match correctly in the Longines records.

5. BlueHands Jun 10, 2020

In my eyes a very creative watch part compilation.