Forums Latest Members

Longines admiral salvageable

1. FREDMAYCOIN Nov 12, 2019

646FD0D5-69BA-4AEC-8AA2-5419DAAFE148.jpeg AAF5A726-871B-4F38-8A83-BE489A7BB128.jpeg 6E60B4AA-318E-47C3-92C0-0B10E50894D2.jpeg Hello Longines experts, bought this watch for 300 bucks impulsively. After getting it home I realized under magnification all it’s flaws and the worst of all being redialed. So my question to the experts are: can you recommend someone who sells Longines dials? and two is it worth salvaging and bringing it back to its glory if any? Or cut my losses and try to sell it for parts and maybe getting 1/2 my money back? Thank you all in advance.

2. Canuck Nov 12, 2019

If you are concerned that the watch as it is, is a re-dial, bear in mind after you have the dial replaced, it is still a redial. Your chances of finding an original replacement dial in my view is about a 5% chance. One of the reasons your watch has calved is that the rotor has come apart. The rotor on this movement comprises two parts. The centre portion turns on the rotor post, and the outer portion is the bulky weight that allows the rotor to turn to wind the watch. I am not aware of a satisfactory way of re-assembling a rotor when it comes apart. Replacing the rotor would be my suggestion, with the option of repairing the original one if a replacement is too expensive, or unavailable. Options.? Patch the rotor and live with it as is. OR Replace the rotor and service the watch. OR go for the full meal deal including the dial. If you go for that option, your $300.00 watch becomes a $1,300.00 watch (or thereabouts). Not worth it in my view.

3. FREDMAYCOIN Nov 12, 2019

Thank you for your information, very informative and helpful. It helps in deciding what I need to do.

4. janice&fred Nov 13, 2019

you won't lose unless you sell it the way it is. my suggestion-what we always do when we are hunting around these tropical islands and pick up a watch in similar condition is set it aside and move on to the next project. over time you could very well spot a reasonably priced original dial and the rotor could be laser welded for around $20 to $30 bucks at one of many jewelry repair shops in manhattan's diamond district.

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.