Forums Latest Members

Longines 40s tank waterproof, dial refinisher?

1. dodo44 Jul 30, 2016

Hello,
    I recently acquired a second square waterproof square tank from Longines. It is a very honest example overall. The only downside is the dial, which to me appears to be an old redial. The dial is also damaged. I usually stay clear of redials but given the significance of this model, I am considering having it redialed.

Any recommendation for a dial refinisher anywhere in the world would could make a black dial with gilt lettering, roman numerals, and proper font for the period?
    Thanks

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    Syrte likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 30, 2016

The lettering and sub-second markers look too crude to me for it to be an original dial.

dodo44 and Syrte like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 30, 2016

Hi @dodo44, I agree with you, redial and 1950s styled hands.
    Have you asked Longines if they have a picture in their archives for this reference?
    (They sometimes do. Although there can be variations in the dial designs, at least it could give the refinishers some pictures to work from).

As for dial refinishers, I know someone who had a really nice 1940s Longines dial redone in Canada (I thought the result was quite impressive -- scary actually)- and I could ask around as an Italian collector told me there are excellent ones in Germany.

Very much looking forward to seeing your Cuervo y Sobrinos model...
    Best regards,
    S

dodo44 likes this.
  4. dodo44 Jul 30, 2016

Thanks Syrte. I sent an email to Longines and specifically asked them about the dial. It would be great if they had a picture.
    If someone could emulate the following look (also a 23M) on the square dial, I would be happy.
    http://www.libertas-watch.com/other/2466
    Let me know if you have any more info/links on dial refinishers; italians know their Longines :).

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    Syrte likes this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jul 30, 2016

Agree with @Tony C. and @Syrte, the dial is surely refinished and period incorrect.

6. dodo44 Jul 30, 2016

Thanks for everyone for weighing in; I agree about the redial and period incorrect hands. The hands on 23M and 10L movements are interchangeable. Does anyone know if the dials are also interchangeable (is the spacing of the feet the same)? Rather than refinishing this redial, another option may be to source a period correct 10L dial. 23M movements with square dials are rare.

Edited Nov 16, 2016
  7. argonbeam Jul 30, 2016

I have an nice 23M with attached dial, works just fine. Dial in great condition, but silver, as you can see. 23M usually in gold cases, at least in US, mostly with round dials. Was planning on using this one in a custom-made case but local jewelers said too difficult, so no go. Dial essentially flush with movement, is ~23.3 to 23.4mm square. If would work or more questions, PM me. Movement and dial both better in person than my cropped iphone shots in poor lighting. Serial number places this around 1944.

IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0034 (1).JPG
    Syrte likes this.
  8. dodo44 Jul 31, 2016

Thanks argonbeam! I will wait to hear what Longines has to say about the original dial, if they have any info, and will proceed based on this.