Forums Latest Members
  1. COYI Nov 18, 2018

Can any of you experts kindly tell me if Longines produced any cal. 291 movements in a chronometer grade?

I was surprised to see this watch with 'Chronometre' printed on the dial as although I know the 291 is a great movement, I wasn't aware that Longines had any of them certified as chronometers.

As far as I can tell the dial looks legit, or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance,

COYI

chronometre.jpg

2. Mephisto Nov 18, 2018

Chrono-certified Longines are uncommon but do exist. 30L Flagships and 431 Ultra_chrons are some of the more commonly seen as chronometers. As far as yours go, the dial and case look ok. However, I do think that the crown is replaced(not sure about this one); the original being the ridged("scallop"?) crown. But these are slightly harder to find than hen's teeth. Nonetheless, I'd definitely grab this one if the movement and caseback medallion are fine.

An Identical example from the bay(way overpriced IMHO though):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Longines-C...2:g:JG8AAOSwuZpbsJ6E:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Cheers

COYI likes this.
  3. COYI Nov 18, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

I had already seen the other one on the bay but that was the only other cal. 291 that I could find with 'Chronometre' printed on the dial. If these are original, it looks like it's are pretty rare model. Incidentally, there's nothing printed on the movements of these watches to indicate they are chronometer grade (not even adjusted to 4 positions or anything like that) so that puzzled me somewhat.

I'm not sure about the crown but the one pictured above has the same crown as the one on the bay so it could be original.

4. JohnSteed Nov 18, 2018

Well, don’t know if anyone here has an example to show (I don’t)...sadly

Dial looks ok, there’s some lint over the H in chronometre ? You should try to get photos of movement and caseback so you can check it out if possible. Looks ok. Good luck!

COYI likes this.
  5. Mephisto Nov 18, 2018

https://omegaforums.net/threads/one...onquest-and-another-one-under-question.74678/
    Here's another thread discussing this

Since there are two of these on the market now, assuming these are different watches, I wouldn't think someone would go as far as to copy that very particular design. Due caution is advised of course. I'm with JohnSteed in that you should try to get more pics.

However, I wouldn't simply dismiss the lack of markings on the movements as evidence of it being a fake/franken. Chronometer Flagship 30Ls are unmarked and look identical to standard-production models with the exception of the shorter regulator and a Breguet hairspring.

Good luck with the hunt!

COYI likes this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 18, 2018

There is a simple way to resolve these questions: contact Longines.

Assuming that the seller can provide serial numbers and a clear image of the inner case back and movement, Longines can quickly confirm whether or not it is a genuine chronometer. If the seller resists requests for such images, then there would be obvious reason to be skeptical.

Syrte, Andsan, JohnSteed and 2 others like this.
  7. JohnSteed Nov 18, 2018

So price has also been reduced....