London Watch Event / Longines Collectors Events - Review

Without hijacking the topic, during this stay in London I visited all 18th century Maritime clocks by John Harrison and Larcum kendall.
Please allow me to remind everyone about the DVD which shows the remarkable history of " Longitude "
MWU-Z-Longitude.jpg
I have some good photos of all these clocks at:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/longitude-book-review.86056/page-4

I have some from a ‘research trip’ earlier this year as well…

https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-v...greenwich-–-january-2023.154528/#post-2107170

Tempus Fugit...
This time a week ago, " all aboard " 😉
TowerLondonK.jpg

Off to the deep?

I hope the crew wear appropriately themed watches.

Proteus-Alciato.gif

Nice @Omegafanman like your pictures, I mean the watches are great but you took some cool art and city streets. Sorry I couldn’t make it but my jet is in the shop, I need new stainless steel muffler bearings and they are only made in Yemen so I’m having difficulty sourcing.

If my jet were ready I would have been there with bells on but even first class is below my standards.

🍿 reminder to post the weblink of the upcoming article on this Longines event... and the upcoming Longines book 📖

Can you tell more about the book?

📖 the Longines book presentation showed the current contents table with two large parts, stopwatches and wrist watches.
Overall a series of well researched articles by Longines collectors describing the details & history of a certain (aviator) watch in their collection...

Went to the Longines museum today. It's an excellent museum, very well curated with a great deal of detail that is well presented. The two of us had a private 1 1/2 hour tour. The location screams history. It was many fold better than the Omega Museum, which was still fun but a let down.

The guide did tell us that next year they will begin charging for extracts. It was a matter of workload, as they get so many requests. She also said they were impacted by the Omega archives scandal. They now have only two people authorized to produce extracts, as opposed to the 8 that previously could produce an extract.

She also commented on what a gentleman Seiji is and how knowledgeable and sharing he is. I couldn't resist name dropping and I think it paid off. 😁

Not the finest examples of the extraordinary watches they displayed, but a few that I particularly liked:

20231026_155105.jpg 20231026_160520.jpg 20231026_162117.jpg

20231026_142001.jpg 20231026_142008.jpg

It seems a terrific event. I just wondered whether participants from abroad bring watches with them too? If so, how do they prevent getting difficulties with UK customs. Can you declare the watches when you arrive and declare them again when you leave the UK?

It seems a terrific event. I just wondered whether participants from abroad bring watches with them too? If so, how do they prevent getting difficulties with UK customs. Can you declare the watches when you arrive and declare them again when you leave the UK?

It is a good question. There are forms and advanced declarations but the advice was just not to bring too many. If they are your personal property, you have proof of long -term ownership and you do not intend to sell or buy on your visit then it should be ok.

It is a good question. There are forms and advanced declarations but the advice was just not to bring too many. If they are your personal property, you have proof of long -term ownership and you do not intend to sell or buy on your visit then it should be ok.

Thanks. That's helpful. Probably best to stay in the European Union for me (living in the Netherlands)

So how do you proof long term ownership?

it was good to see Robert-Jan at WatchPro Salon London yesterday with some of the group from the Longines trip. Also a very informative presentation from RJ. Very pleased that he has published such a detailed account on the event by Wouter van Wijk. Must be one of the most detailed Fratello reports ever….. of course despite all the Longines love there was a lot of Speedy contact yesterday … plus another ‘special one’ crept in…

So how do you proof long term ownership?
If a watch was stolen how would you prove it was once your property?
A bill of sale, a receipt, an insurance list, even a post on OF ;0). I think it is not something to be hugely worried about but if you are travelling across a border with a lot of watches (say more than five) and they are thought to be high value these days it may draw attention if you get stopped. Probably a different thread needed or already running to cover the issues and how to avoid problems. I just stay home and look after the cat.