Forums Latest Members
  1. abrod520 Jan 14, 2020

So as part of my next business trip to Amsterdam, it looks like I'll be spending the latter half of the last week of January in London. I've never been, and I'm super excited to see all the sights, but could use a few suggestions for watch nerd- type stuff :)

Also, if anyone's around to grab a drink on Friday evening Jan 31st, or Saturday Feb 1st, let me know - send me a PM and in a week or so, I'll see what I can do.

(Also up for a jet-lagged Amsterdam GTG on Sunday Jan 26th if anyone's in town)

Mr Gadget and Foo2rama like this.
  2. abrod520 Jan 23, 2020

Bumping this up as we get closer.

3. connieseamaster Jan 23, 2020

Greenwich Observatory is a must if the history of time and navigation interest you at all. The Harrods Watch Room is great for a wander as well.

Engee, nlogax and tpatta like this.
  4. abrod520 Jan 23, 2020

That'd be very cool, but this is just gonna be an extra day tacked onto the end of a business trip. Probably going to be staying fairly central and seeing everything I can within walking distance but def will see if I have time to make it through Harrods

5. nlogax Jan 23, 2020

The Clockmakers Gallery in the Science Museum is interesting (and some lovely buildings down in South Ken) (https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/clockmakers-museum)

The Whitechapel Bell Foundry (http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk) is sadly no longer open for tours, but a trip eastwards to the City is well worthwhile to check out all the Wren churches, Roman Walls, the Guildhall, the Monument etc. You could try a quick tour of Pepys-related sites https://londonist.com/2015/12/pepystour

There's plenty of sundials to check out (https://londonist.com/london/great-outdoors/sundials-of-london) though pity about the lack of sun! :D

abrod520 and connieseamaster like this.
  6. pnjarich Jan 30, 2020

FWIW
    Greenwich is about a 20 min train ride from the City .(less from London Bridge). The observatory does an incredible job of explaining the history of clockmaking with some great exhibits .
    There's also a nice market in Greenwich including a Camden Watch storefront.

If it's not raining, a trip to Greenwich is worth it .

7. abrod520 Jan 31, 2020

Might try to take a look then. Thanks!

timecube likes this.
  8. timecube Jan 31, 2020

Whether you care for the explanation or not, just BEING there and gawking at the site (at the precise location of the G in GMT) is pretty amazing all by itself.

Assuming you're already to the way-beyond-nerd point I fear many of us might be. :D

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. lindo Jan 31, 2020

I totally agree. Seeing the very first chronometers by Harrison - a self educated genius - is well worth the effort.

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. connieseamaster Feb 1, 2020

I'm probably overstating this a tiny bit, but being able to see the transition from H3 to H4 in person was about as close to a religious experience as I've gotten. At the end of the exhibit is the watchmaker's shop where they maintain the pieces and they also have on display all of the ship's chronometers that were in for testing/maintenance but got decommissioned once GPS became the standard.

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 1, 2020

+1 for Greenwich...
    The observatory has a nice museum and the historic onion dome houses the 71 cm Grubb refractor which saw first light in 1894.
    Since 2014 this lens telescope on English equatorial mount can be used by the general public to observe the Moon & the planets :thumbsup:
    MoonwatchUniverse_ROG.jpg