Forums Latest Members

LOL François B justifying the Code 11.59 to Wei Koh

1. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2019

If you want a good laugh check this out:D
    https://www.revolution.watch/in-con...nnahmias-of-audemars-piguet-on-the-code-1159/

Credit to Wei Koh for being very polite and not saying "why the hell did you release a Fossil watch dial with an AP movement?"

So funny to see François B squirming around trying to justify the indefensible (they were aiming at 19 yrd olds apparently:rolleyes::D)....oh and on Hodinkee live we now have Ben Clymer stating that he "wants" one of these bloated confused dress/sports hybrid watches "bad"...April fool's day today?:D

Edited Jan 14, 2019
  2. BenBagbag Jan 14, 2019

Is this the ultimate troll by hodinkee? To see if they have such blind influence that they can sell AP branded fossil watches?

This, like nobody covering Rolex's low production, further dimishes the credibility of "watch journalism."

Smh. :rolleyes:

3. rcs914 Jan 14, 2019

AP has a long and studied history of producing terrible looking watches that appear to have been designed by a team of 8 year old boys tasked with making an elegant and refined SS sports watch look "cool" (see '90s Zenith for this too, as well as 90% of the entire Hublot brand for similar disasters of taste).

[​IMG]

As a brand, I'm actually kind of shocked that they receive as much praise and desire as they do. I'll be frank - price wise they are absolutely in a different orbit than anything I would ever be able to afford, so I'm definitely not the target market. But other than the original Royal Oak, I find nothing of interest in their entire lineup.

4. wsfarrell Jan 14, 2019

This really angers me as well. With "unworn" (that is, "flipped") Daytonas selling for $24k on eBay, you know there's something going on at Rolex. They've been capable of making a million watches a year for decades. Why aren't they?

superfly, Pun and Caliber561 like this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2019

As soon as the watch blog sites, magazines and social media channels started making special LEs hand-in-hand with the industry, it was inevitable that the degree of independence necessary for non-biased journalism would take a hit. Still, overall I think the online watch media are more open and less biased than the previous generation of advert ridden watch magazines:)

bazamu and queriver like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jan 14, 2019

AP 11:59 Hodinkee Edition announced later this year...

Remember you heard it here first ;)

aap, George.A, citizenrich and 10 others like this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2019

It will be the Mad Hatter 17:59 edition:D;)

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 14, 2019

BC30C468-3226-4F7A-B2D7-934F1CA93390.jpeg

9. Bushido Jan 14, 2019

As an owner and fan of AP, I have to admit their new line is a complete dud to me. I was excited to see what they did with their new movements, especially the new chrono. While I'm not too happy with the showing, I know both the bank account and my wife are pleased with the lack of an appealing release!

Joe_A and Riviera Paradise like this.
  10. KingCrouchy Jan 14, 2019

I was shocked how bad the interview with hodinkee was, and those watches are a total miss.
    I know a designer at AP that resigned after few months because they let all the design work be outsourced and done by uninspired bureau d'études...the results shows it well!:whistling:

Edited Jan 15, 2019
  11. nonono Jan 14, 2019

That was surprisingly hard to watch

12. queriver Jan 15, 2019

You're spot on. I admit I'm a generally cynical bugger but the more videos, articles and social media posts I've come across from the likes of Revolution, Hodinkee and Fratello, particularly in the last couple of years, the more I've started to question motivations. Understandably the watch companies regard them as useful channels to customers but we should not regard them as impartial journalists. They do a lot of schmoozing with watch companies at events that they or a watch company hosts or they jointly host. Do they always pay their own transport, accommodation and hospitality costs for these events? Are there gifts/awards given and received? I may be wrong but I don't recall seeing Hodinkee, Revolution, Fratello, etc. disclosing services/benefits/inducements provided by watch companies.

13. Riviera Paradise Jan 15, 2019

I think Robert Jan is pretty open about his relationship with Omega and he will often comment and respond on the OF

14. queriver Jan 15, 2019

Agree, he shares information with us on OF about goings-on with respect to Omega, which is appreciated. Omega would regard him as a trusted conduit and a valuable channel to Omega Speedmaster enthusiasts, otherwise there wouldn't be such a symbiotic relationship.

The discussion is that we should not regard these online media sites as independent providers of journalism. Particularly absent full disclosure of arrangements with watch companies. In saying this, I'm not suggesting they put themselves up as being independent journalists.

15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 15, 2019

I don’t think it’s fair to group and judge those three together...

The big difference between Fratello and Hodinkee/Revolution (to me) is

1) lack of sales platform and sales driven content
    2) dedicated bias (in the form of hundreds of articles/micro website) to the one watch they have collaborated on, for years before they collaborated, which they did not sell. So it’s clear...no hidden agenda.
    3) I believe Fratello do call a spade a spade, albeit with discretion.

rohnin, Pun, sdre and 4 others like this.
  16. zrleopold Jan 15, 2019

With regard to the 11.59, I agree with much of what has been said about it - the design is pretty uninspiring and derivative. However, if you listen to what François B says in the video, their goal is to appeal to a different, younger market. He explains there may be overlap in terms of sales with the usual AP customers, but this line is oriented to a previously neglected consumer. This seems to be their motivation. I think it is a sound strategy. AP, like any other luxury brand, needs to transition to appeal to the next generation of consumer at some point...I just don't think this watch is going to accomplish what they wanted.

17. Jonatan Jan 15, 2019

Too many non watch wrist ornements in that video...

18. nonono Jan 15, 2019

What about Vacheron Constantins' twin beat perpetual calendar? 65 DAYS of power reserve! Bravo Vacheron. One of the highlights of sihh 2019 for me.

citizenrich and Riviera Paradise like this.
  19. SaltWaterNTarmac Jan 16, 2019

It may be that I am part of this younger generation but I don't hate the 11.59s, except for the chrono which is especially ugly. The case is really clever and looks good in profile. As does the crystal. If watches like Vincero, MVMNT, etc. didn't exist I think we would all appreciate this more. That said, I would never be a buyer because at that price point there are much better IWCs, JLCs, and more.

20. Riviera Paradise Jan 16, 2019

I think Robert-Jan sums it up beautifully and I quote:

Just like you have beautiful people that are not very photogenetic, you also have watches that don’t look good on a picture but can completely turn you around when shown in the flesh. Well, not with the CODE 11:59.

Journalists are asked by AP not to take a ‘frontal’ picture of this watch without showing the case band or lugs etc. That sounds a bit like confessing something is wrong with the watch.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/sihh-2019-day-2-recap/

The shame is AP have just released some great new products in the Royal Oak line and finally have an integrated chronograph movement...but all focus at SIHH is on the 11.59 launch, and they only have themselves to blame for that as they completely over hyped the watch. I think the dial is not only boring but wears too big and that might appeal to younger buyers, but certainly not to me. If they were aiming at the younger crowd they should have positioned it with more vibrant colours perhaps and with some brand ambassadors.

Looking at the dial it is just an over sized dressy watch and sits on the wrist like a huge disc...I suppose François B felt that it had to be large enough and also with a big enough logo to be seen from across the room.:rolleyes:

Edited Jan 16, 2019
    Bushido, kov, Darlinboy and 3 others like this.