Forums Latest Members
  1. CDelm_ Apr 1, 2014

Dear all, my name is Cássio and I'm from Brazil. I'm wondering if someone could help me indentify this old Omega that I have.

My late grandfather bought it new, and it has been in my family for more then 50 years.

Could someone please help me identify the year and model of this one? Many thanks!

Omega1.jpg Omega2.jpg Omega3.jpg Omega5.jpg Omega6.jpg
    Varasc likes this.
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 1, 2014

It would be very difficult to say which model it is without seeing whats inside the watch. I am guessing the movement is based on the 30mm family. Try to get the watch opened by someone knowledgable and post pictures of the movement and the inside of the case back.

3. CDelm_ Apr 1, 2014

Joe K., thank you very much!

I went to a watch-house and got the watch opened.

Here's the pictures.

Omega9.jpeg Omega8.jpeg
  4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 1, 2014

Looks like you have a cal 30T2 movement with a serial number dating the watch to early 1940s

5. CDelm_ Apr 1, 2014

Wow! You are really knowledgeable! Thank you so much, Joe K.

I thought it would be from the 50s.

I really love this watch. I'll learn more about the 30T2 moviment.

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 1, 2014

No problem.

If I can get that on official paperwork to show my kids that would be a great help ;) :D

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2014

A very nice family memory Cássio.

Are there two screws missing from the movement?

Maybe movement clamping screws? Movement looks a little off centre, maybe loose?

And there is some rust on the stem so it would be a good idea to get it cleaned and oiled by a watchmaker.

Omega9.jpeg

Georgieboy58 likes this.
  8. CDelm_ Apr 1, 2014

Thank you, JimInOz!

I saw that too. But if you google 30T2 Movement on Images, you'll see that there is others with the same missing screws. Probably isn't natural, but at least mine it's not the only one.

I need to send it to official Omega's office here in Brazil. But I guess it'll be a little expensive. One time I called them, asking for the proper wristband, and they said that it would cost R$ 3.500,00 (or US$ 1.500,00). It was a little too much for me at the time, and still is.

9. CDelm_ Apr 1, 2014

hahahaha... I can arrange that!

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 1, 2014

Bad idea to send this to Omega official service center. It cost high and not too sympathetic to vintage watch service.
    The best bet is finding a qualified watchmaker locally, you can ask other Brazilian member (via PM) who already did this. IIRC member dantaspaulo from Brazil have done it several times.

CDelm_ likes this.
  11. Georgieboy58 Apr 2, 2014

If you look at the picture of the case back you can see that the case back serves as a movement ring on this type of case.
    So as soon as the back cover is off, the movement is loose

CDelm_ and JimInOz like this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 2, 2014

Oh yeah, sure, I knew that, just seeing if anyone else was good enough to pick up on it.

;)

:oops:

rhetoric and Georgieboy58 like this.
  13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 2, 2014

It also explains the 'missings' screws. It's the place for the screws that fix the movement on the case, not used when there is a spacer ring.
    Just to show that someone has picked up on it ;) ...

CDelm_ likes this.
  14. CDelm_ Apr 2, 2014

It's very good to know that. Thanks.

But it will be expensive anyway. Here in Brazil almost all highly qualified services cost a ton of money.

I have a friend that has a lot of Omegas, and he uses only the Omega official service. But there is two points here, one is that he is a judge, thus he can pay the high prices; and second is that he doesn't have vintage ones.
    Let's hope that Dantaspaulo can give some hints about that.

15. dantaspaulo Apr 2, 2014

Cássio, I can recommend watchmakers in Rio, São Paulo and Porto Alegre, but if you don't live near any of these cities you can usually send your watch to them. A simple cleaning service will cost you some R$ 250 (USD100 or so) and you can get some VERY nice straps on ebay -- I've never had to pay any taxes on them (Hadley-Roma and Hirsch are my favourites, and quite affordable too). PM me if you want any more details on the watchmakers.

CDelm_ and Privateday7 like this.
  16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 2, 2014

That's a very reasonable price. Indonesian Omega Service Center cheapest quote for non chronograph watch and only standard part replacement (main spring and crystal IIRC) costs USD 400. I guess Brazil OSC will quote you at least that amount to service your watch.

17. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 2, 2014

I own some old 30mm in this type of case. They don't have those case crews, either.(no need)

30T1SC.jpg
    CDelm_ likes this.
  18. CDelm_ Apr 3, 2014

Thank you very much, Dantaspaulo!

I live in Botucatu, 2:30h from São Paulo, so it's easier to go there.

I only know the Watch Time. Could you please give me some recommendations there? I would appreciate it.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  19. CDelm_ Apr 3, 2014

I saw your photos, and I think that I really need to send my Omega for a cleaning. Hahaha.

20. dantaspaulo Apr 3, 2014

Cassio, sent you a PM with contacts of another (cheaper and better) watchmaker.

CDelm_ likes this.