Linking omega 6b/159 to pilot or navigator?

Hi folks is there any way to link an issued 6b/159 to a pilot or navigator ?
or was they randomly handed out ?

I'm afraid not

Unless you luck out and get it from a family member! But they were supposed to be returned to MOD, I think.

Couldn't a given watch have been issued to more than one person?

Isn't it the case that, in theory, the whole point of an issue number was to track possession of the item? If so, perhaps there's some file cabinet buried deep in the bowels of some musty Ministry of Defense basement that has the information.

Makes sense. The MOD went to some effort to discourage private pilfering of watches. Most of the deck watches (pocket watches used on ships) were altered to be “unwearable” for example but some survived intact
I have one from WWI with all the MOD broad arrow markings.

Like 1
Isn't it the case that, in theory, the whole point of an issue number was to track possession of the item? If so, perhaps there's some file cabinet buried deep in the bowels of some musty Ministry of Defense basement that has the information.
Well I like your answer wouldn’t it be great if that was proven some day, there’s got to be more to it.

Makes sense. The MOD went to some effort to discourage private pilfering of watches. Most of the deck watches (pocket watches used on ships) were altered to be “unwearable” for example but some survived intact
I have one from WWI with all the MOD broad arrow markings.
How did the original watches survive and not be tampered with ? cheers
Joe

IMG_7400.gif

Like 1