Lightning Strikes Five Times - Gold El Primero - G-381

Thanks. I hate to be part of the problem of Zenith inflation - much rather pull off a coup like your A386 - but I did get gouged all the way to my max in the final seconds.
But you GOT IT. That's what counts. As watches get more popular the competition for top quality pieces is going to get fierce. Congrats on snagging what I think is one of the most gorgeous chronographs ever produced. :thumbsup:

Oh, and you're on the list of guys who I'm gonna hound relentlessly to sell me their watches now. Not that you didn't have a spectacular collection already....
I've never lost a watch that I made up my mind to own. You have to be prepared to go Ashley on them

Like 1
I've never lost a watch that I made up my mind to own. You have to be prepared to go Ashley on them

Oh trust me, he is. I've seen some stone cold Ashley from MMMD.:cool:

I on the other hand have lost a lot of watches I was determined to own! It's probably because as Dennis said, my mind is still stuck on 2008-2009 prices that I still have difficulty bringing myself to put in the necessary bid amounts. That is what I am hoping to change in 2013 but it's hard to change old habits!

OK, guys....I know this is an English-speaking forum and I am just an ignorant foreigner, but please tell me who/what Ashley is? Laura?

OK, guys....I know this is an English-speaking forum and I am just an ignorant foreigner, but please tell me who/what Ashley is? Laura?

He is one of our esteemed founder of the site also known round here as dsio

The situation we are alluding to (which gave birth to the term "going Ashley on an auction") is when he bid $50,000 for an item that went for under $5,000 (he of course meant to enter $5,000). An incident which will probably live on forever...

Aha, I understand. Sort of like - what must have happened with the whole Omegamania auction some years ago. There must have been at least two Ashleys there. Was he involved as a consultant...!? ;)

Like 2
Aha, I understand. Sort of like with the whole Omegamania auction some years ago. Was he involved as a consultant...!? ;)

Not as far as I know...

The thing about omegamania, some of those prices particularly for some chronographs are no longer as crazy as they seemed at the time...

...Congrats on snagging what I think is one of the most gorgeous chronographs ever produced. :thumbsup:

Oh, and you're on the list of guys who I'm gonna hound relentlessly to sell me their watches now. Not that you didn't have a spectacular collection already....

Thanks Dennis. I'm feeling pretty good about it now... initially I was indifferent, which is EXACTLY how you should feel when you set your max bid right and are pushed to it. I'm flattered that you'll be hounding me, but - fair warning - I'm kind of a buy-and-hold guy. :)

Well that's the thing. I had made up my mind that I would have a G381 in my collection, and if not now, when? Like Omega, the Zenith star continues to rise, and there ain't that many G381's in the world. I remember my sense of urgency being heightened a little, a few months back, by this - more evidence that the secret was out - so I began to prioritize:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/whats-...r-autavia-and-the-original-iwc-ceramic-chrono

That Caso watch is indeed sweet, and I inquired about it, but they wouldn't budge much on the price (close to twice the end price of the Kansas auction).

I felt that I'd gone borderline-Ashley on a watch with some question marks attached, and yet someone else came within $53 (and I will say I'm glad I'm not that guy; maybe time to go Ashley+ on these things). Not so surprised, really, considering what happened here; the story is very similar:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/new-watershed-for-vintage-el-primero.3005/

I got gouged a little more than I expected, but I'm sure I'll make worse investments this year. :)

I'm flattered that you'll be hounding me, but - fair warning - I'm kind of a buy-and-hold guy.

It's all good - but you should be warned that I've pried watches out of other buy-and-hold guy's grasps before. ;) The one thing you have going for you is that you Zenith guys are tough nuts to crack. I'm still working on Lou.... and it isn't even for Zenith!

I got gouged a little more than I expected, but I'm sure I'll make worse investments this year.

.... and less fun too. Can't wear your portfolio, can you?

I THINK THE G381 WAS NOT EXPENSIVE. THE WAY I COME TO THIS CONCLUSION. IS ASK A COLLECTOR WHO OWNS ONE IF HE WILL SELL YOU ONE!
I KNOW I WOULDN'T.

Like 1
The Jayhawk G381 has landed...

ZenithG381wrist_zps8a1c9c46.jpg

... and I think it's a keeper. ::love::

Like 1
Ha! I knew you'd like it - best gold early El Primero reference.....:thumbsup:

Await full presentation....

Looks great on you. Seems to be in immaculate condition.::love::

Looks great on you. Seems to be in immaculate condition.::love::

Thanks. It really is in good shape - some microscopic dings and scratches, but clearly never polished. Dial and hands immaculate. I've gone over the dial with the 10x loupe, and it's flawless - I think the best vintage dial I've seen. Everything functioning perfectly, chrono resetting dead on 12, date turning over crisply at midnight. It's been worn a little but clearly well tended. I'm thrilled with it. Will get some better photos up when I can.

Congrats. Had a feeling the condition would be exceptional - love these one owner hardly ever worn watches!

Jayhawks? You aren't a Wildcat, are you? Because if you were that would be a HUGE conflict of interest, wouldn't it? :D

Excellent watch! Take care of it for me.

Jayhawks? You aren't a Wildcat, are you? Because if you were that would be a HUGE conflict of interest, wouldn't it? :D

I'm mostly non-partisan. A little bit Wolverine. A Kansas watch is OK - no allergic reaction so far.

Excellent watch! Take care of it for me.

OK, but... didn't you read my post? Keeper. I used the ::love:: emoticon. I don't use that thing lightly. I think this is the first time, in fact. :D

OK, but... didn't you read my post? Keeper. I used the ::love:: emoticon. I don't use that thing lightly. I think this is the first time, in fact. :D

Aw shucks..... I'll go back to hounding Lou and Norm. :(

( :p )

Congrats. Looks great.
To make you even feel better: you didn't win the auction by a margin of $57, in fact it was only $27. I know because I was the runner-up.
Having said this, its painful to know I've pushed a fellow forum member to his max. Sorry...
If only there would be a way to prevent this in future?

The Jayhawk G381 has landed...

ZenithG381wrist_zps8a1c9c46.jpg

... and I think it's a keeper. ::love::
Very sweet looking piece, I really like how on these dials the hours register is shrunk to give the minute and seconds more space, gives it more balance and keeps it uncluttered