Forums Latest Members

Life with the Omega Seamaster 300 2500D

1. KJL Oct 11, 2022

It’s 4 years this month since I purchased my Omega Seamaster 300SMPc with the 2500D movement (bought new from an AD).
    Since I have several watches that I rotate, my Omega is not worn daily.

Nevertheless I have to say it’s been pretty amazing albeit not without a glitch. Last year, after 3 years,
    the watch stopped working after 7 hours. Even though it was fully charged. On a positive note, Omega was nothing short of fantastic to deal with.
    They fixed it and had it back to me within 3 weeks!
    The accuracy has been 1 second slow per day. That varies slightly. Very slightly. A full charge will get me 52-53 hours. And the accuracy stays consistent even towards the end of the power reserve.

When I bought the watch the new generation was available. I’m usually the kind of person who likes the latest generation of any product. The price difference at the time between the two was insignificant. Not enough to keep me from purchasing the new version. Interestingly enough I just wasn’t loving the new version wave dial and thicker case. The 2500D version had the black lacquer dial. I thought it was way more elegant.
    I generally like simple and elegant watches. I did like the on the fly adjustable bracelet on the new version conceptually. However, I thought it was too bulky and took up too much of the bracelet. Since I’ve never owned a watch bracelet that could be adjusted on the fly, I didn’t feel like I would be missing anything. Maybe if I owned it I would wonder how I ever lived without it.
    Anyway, I had to walk out of the AD to get lunch and figure out which to get. I knew which I preferred
    visually. The question was would I kick myself down the road for not getting the “latest and greatest “.
    Well, I went back and did what was uncharacteristic of me and bought the 2500D version. Here I am 4 years later and am still glad I made this choice. The new model has grown me.
    But I still feel like the black lacquered dial and thinner case will never go out of style. And if given the same choice today I’d do the same thing. It is extremely comfortable to wear. I have never felt the need to adjust the bracelet size while wearing it.
    Hopefully the mechanical issue I had last year was
    permanently fixed.
    The only complaint I must state is the AR coating on the outside of the crystal. I understand that one of the main reasons the dial looks as beautiful as it does it the AR coating. But it scratches way too easily. And I baby my watches.

9A70D340-1DCF-4196-8518-457890F2DF5F.jpeg
    Edited Oct 11, 2022
    teome, crd, Time2WatchOut and 3 others like this.
  2. jB1128 Oct 11, 2022

I just acquired the SMPc in blue (reference 212.30.41.20.03.001) from my watchmaker. It is the perfect complement to my 2254.50 and I am loving it!
    IMG_7486.jpg

Graemega, crd, hen and 2 others like this.
  3. KJL Oct 11, 2022

That blue dial is beautiful!

jB1128 likes this.
  4. J_Truth Oct 11, 2022

This version wears so much better than the 42mm version but I wish this version had a wave dial and the new coaxial movement.

5. KJL Oct 11, 2022

I think the wave dial vs no wave dial is a very subjective thing. Obviously it is and has been very well received. Both the original and the new.
    As for the movement. I think on paper it is technically a significant upgrade.
    From my perspective, there is paper and real life.
    I’m not sure the 2500D is giving much up in real life.
    I own and have owned lots of mechanical watches. I’m aware that many watchmakers see magnetized watches frequently. I have never had that problem.
    I’m sure the extra protection offered in the new movement is a very good thing. But it wouldn’t likely impact my experience one way or the other. As for power reserve, I get 52-53 hours. Another 7 also wouldn’t matter to me. Especially since I rotate watches so often. I have a Longines with a 72 hour PR. It’s always dead by the time I get around to wearing it again. I also prefer the thinner 2500D.
    I think the “on paper” technological advantages of the new movement are better for marketing purposes than wearing it in the real world. Unless those advantages actually will impact your wearing experience.

Edited Oct 11, 2022
  6. bananapeanut Oct 11, 2022

I love both the original and the new. I prefer the old one in blue and the new one with the waves in black (although the stock photo does not do the dial justice):

comp.png

Edited Oct 11, 2022
    crd likes this.
  7. Time2WatchOut Nov 20, 2022

I have a 2017 Black Ink Dial. I received it from original owner. Just inspected and regulated. All good as it’s extraordinarily accurate… and It’s of course the 2500D movement. 5F0C4435-DEC1-46DA-A8F4-9F0185B481EE.jpeg

jB1128 and crd like this.
  8. Time2WatchOut Nov 20, 2022

So
    This is a 2018?