Forums Latest Members

LF Info on Ebay Find: Omega Seamaster Deville - ($650)

1. SpecialKT Dec 20, 2020

So, I found this omega watch on ebay and am contemplating purchasing it. I would love to find out more about it (year [looks like '66 or '67 to me], model, etc.) and get some opinions on its authenticity and value. Is this a good deal?

It is listed as a Vintage Seamaster Deville with Omega aluminum box and omega crocodile strap. The seller says that it is an estate sale find. She says it runs, has little to no scratches, and does not appear to have been worn much/at all. She said the strap was stiff. It has a deep engraving in the case back – “PRESENTED TO W.S. SHIPLEY BY KRAFT FOODS IN RECOGNITION OF 25 YRS. SERVICE 5-5-72.” Notably, the seller had a lunchbox listed that was engraved with the same last name. She is not selling other watches currently, just a few other books, board games, and awards from the same estate sale.

I know the watch pictures are not great quality. I have asked for better quality ones and am awaiting a response. I would like to see the movement and case back, but I would rather not have her try to open it (especially since it is a front loader).

My overall feeling about this watch is good. It seems like it has been in that box for decades (inside box pic) and is in pretty good condition. However, I have just started getting into watches and am not great at spotting fake/frankenwatches yet. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Omega Case.jpg Omega Case and Back.jpg Omega Crown and Strap.jpg
    ConElPueblo and Passover like this.
  2. Passover Dec 21, 2020

Hi and welcome here!

The watch is looking very good IMO, seems like an original and well cared of example!

If you are OK with the engraving - go for it!

Count in a service for 150-200 USD

Maybe there is some negotiation possible, you could offer 550 USD??

Good luck!

[EDIT:] Very good first post here :thumbsup:

3. onlyomega94 Dec 21, 2020

First of all - as you say - be careful in asking an inexperienced seller to mess about with these cases. Better to not have momvement pics than a destroyed crown and crystal.

That being said I think the watch looks very good and there are no red flags for me. The watch came with two types of backs; one with the Seamaster logo and one (yours) with a plain back making room for engraving. It's always a matter of taste with engraving and you can find plenty of discussions on that here. In my book, however, not having the Seamaster logo dectracts a bit of value and I know that many people, when buying old SMDVs, would want that logo too.

On the other hand, the dial looks to be in great condition, the crown seems right for the reference and the box, buckle and strap are a plus (although I think the latter is probably ready for the bin - they often are with these watches that have been sitting).

Summing up I would not necessarily call this a good deal but a watch which IMO is priced very fairly. Remember to factor in the cost of a service at around 200 USD.

4. SpecialKT Dec 22, 2020

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate your and onlyomega94's help. I have decided to buy this watch and am very excited. It will be my first omega and my second automatic watch. Eventually, I hope to purchase a vintage Seamaster with the logo on the back but for now this engraved one will do. Thanks again for your help and I am looking forward to learning a ton from this forum.

As thanks, enjoy these pictures of my very first watch that will forever remain the foundation of my collection.

Grail.jpg

5. SpecialKT Dec 22, 2020

Thank you for your thoughtful response onlyomega94

6. Passover Dec 22, 2020

Don't buy it if you are not fine with the engraving. If you want a Seamaster logo on the back move on, a lot of SMD available!

7. SpecialKT Dec 22, 2020

If I were to continue looking would you recommend Ebay as my best option for finding one that is sub 700$ in good condition?