Forums Latest Members

Letting chronograph run as a second hand on a 3570 Speedmaster

1. brzab Jul 5, 2015

Is it ok to let the chrono run continuously as a second hand? I sometimes sync the chono with the actual second hand and let it run. Not sure if it is more wear and tear on the movement. I have a n 861 movement.
    Thanks

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. gornati Jul 5, 2015

I did that with mine several times, no issues yet, although mine is a 1861...

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2015

The watch is not designed to run with the chronograph on all the time. It really depends what you mean by "is it okay" to let it run. Will the watch self destruct over the next day...week...month...year? No, but timekeeping might not be as good, and you may need an extra part or two replaced at the next service.

Personally I don't let my chronograph run all the time, but if that is what it takes for you to enjoy the watch, then let it run and don't sweat it.

Cheers, Al

Tonfunk, Mad Dog and i20rider like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 5, 2015

Only have owned my Speedmaster since mid-January this year. Seems that generally accepted way to stow the chronograph second hand is at 12:00. It is a bit annoying to have it cover the logo and the nice Speedmaster marking but the dial looks silly with it stowed between sub-dials on either side. I've gotten used to it by now but had meant to inquire about this matter early on in my Speedmaster career.

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 5, 2015

I keep my chrono hand stopped at the six second mark when it is not in use for timing.

That is the correct method to ensure proper (and stable) stationary positioning of the third tooth on the column wheel. :whistling:

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2015

I am intrigued by your ideas...can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Oh and is that the third tooth to the left, or to the right?

Darlinboy and Mad Dog like this.
  7. alam Jul 5, 2015

::rant:damn operating instructions on my 3570 User's Manual are so confusing!