Forums Latest Members

Let's Talk Pretentiousness in the Watch Community.

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 23, 2016

Thoughts?

2. cristos71 Mar 23, 2016

Maybe a good idea if you first give us your thoughts on the subject and we can then agree/disagree/digress

Wetworks and billyblue like this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 23, 2016

I didn't want to influence the discussion more than I already did in the title. I will share my thoughts tomorrow.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2016

Well we are Omega Fans not Rolex, Patek or Panari . So I think most people on the forum prefer flying under the radar and are not out to project anything but taste. Come on would a Rolex forum have love for Sieko?

vintagelady, watchme, lando and 3 others like this.
  5. cristos71 Mar 23, 2016

Me too ;)

6. pcdubc Mar 23, 2016

I'll Bite.

I've noticed this in myself. I like watches that are elegant and "understated". But I sure as hell would be lying if I told you that I didn't care if others didn't noticed my watch. In fact, I want (certain) people to compliment my wrist game as much as the next guy wanting to be complimented for his bling-ed out (brand) watch.

Afterall, as much as we hate to admit, watches are accessories.They are meant to be worn and seen. True, some watches are art. But if we are really collecting timekeepers as art, then our collection would constitute many more high grade pocket watches or even clocks.

So deep down, I want to be seen wearing my watch. And I want people to associate the qualities of that watch to me. In this sense, I am pretentious.

So what do you all think I should buy next? ;)

7. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Mar 23, 2016

Thought this might guide the discussion...

pretentious
    prɪˈtɛnʃəs/
    adjective
    1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

noelekal likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2016

That's not pretentious unless your doing it to prove you have superior wealth. At least that's how I see it.

9. lillatroll Mar 23, 2016

I only really look at this forum and my feeling is that most of the comments are pretty down to earth and I don t get the feeling that people put their watches on here to say 'look at me, my watch is the best'. Apart from derogatory comments about quartz watches, I think nearly everything gets a fair crack of the whip. I have read a few articles on Hodinkee, or whatever it's called and they seem pretty ok too. i did sign up to WUS but I don t really like it so much, the page is too busy. I am dyslexic and trying to wade through so many thread options hurts my head.

lando, timeismoney, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  10. billyblue Mar 23, 2016

This, couldn't have written it better myself.

It seems though not many people are true to themselves and like to admit that fact...

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 23, 2016

Sure, there is pretentiousness in the watch community. It's a community of people, and some people are pretentious. It is much easier to label someone else's behavior as such than to recognize our own.

c'est la vie

noelekal likes this.
  12. JohnSteed Mar 23, 2016

Well I find it hard to be pretentious on the forum looking at what you guys post. Here's a pic of me after spending way too much time here...

image.jpeg

Gets worse the longer I stay on

13. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2016

I don't see many people here being the "I have a _______ on my wrist!" type show-offs. They'll post an "Incoming!" thread to tell their buddies about their new find, but somehow I just can't see @MMMD or @LouS boasting to patients about their new caliber 135 or turtle. Even if they did, they'd only get a blank stare. After that happened a few times, I'm sure they'd be cured of any pretentiousness. :p

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2016

Think it's ostentatious using those big 15 letter words in a title.....

15. pcdubc Mar 23, 2016

Show off!

noelekal and OMGRLX like this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2016

Hey!, Darwin is known as the epitome of culture and taste.:thumbsup:

red crowned and STANDY like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 23, 2016

What?

Charles Darwin?

Isn't he dead?

18. tyrantlizardrex Mar 23, 2016

Hence the culture.

19. dx009 Mar 23, 2016

My only "pretentiousness" as far as watches goes is that I don't want to deal (at least not in the foreseeable future) with cheap brands that are regarded as cheap/crap. I'm talking about 20-30$ stuff.

Oh and, if it's quartz, it better be a solid quality one. :) And I also don't like metallic watchbands.

lillatroll likes this.
  20. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2016

::rimshot::