Forums Latest Members
  1. nighthound May 8, 2021

Been thinking of picking this piece up from a local vintage jewelry/watch store here in Vancouver, as a gift to my grandfather. Been looking for this style of watch he's been wanting for a while, as it was the style of watch he would've purchased (if he could've afforded it) back in the 50s and 60s. Store is reputable, and upon a phone call with the shop, seems like it's in good condition and was serviced and verified before being posted up for sale.

seamaster1.jpg seamaster2.jpg seamaster3.jpg seamaster4.jpg seamaster5.jpg

Wanted a second opinion before buying my 2nd vintage watch, but my first Omega vintage. I've seen a couple similar pieces around town, but this specimen is among the cleaner ones. There are two others around the ~$1500 - $1800 CAD mark (with papers and box). This at half the price, without papers, is attractive, as I don't think there is any intent on making this an "investment" piece. Strap is non-original but granddad likes the new black strap on it better.

I am concerned about a possible redial? I don't see a "Swiss" or "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial in the pictures. Other cal.354 watches of this model I've seen vary between whether they have that or not.

Unfortunately, this specific shop is under renovation and can't do in-person purchases due to Covid for a few more weeks.

2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 8, 2021

It is a redial, but at the price isn't too bad a purchase. ~£475 from a dealer isnt a terrible price at all, especially if it really has been serviced (which I wouldn't take on trust). it might just be the photo, but the lug top right looks to have serious damage to the outer gold layer, that isn't great on a gold capped or plated watch. That can't be repaired or improved.

If you want it to be all original, this one isn't for you. It isn't a bad job but there are several tells, one of which is the peeping out of the minute markers from under the applied indices. It looks to be a 2577, the dial would likely have originally had the 2 tone ring effect common on these.

Edited May 8, 2021
  3. Hzgm May 8, 2021

Pictures could be better but it does look like a redial to my eyes.
    I wouldn’t concern myself with strap originality for a watch from this era, you are fairly unlikely to come across an actual one, an original buckle would already be a nice plus.

4. nighthound May 8, 2021

The dealer has 1 year warranty on parts and labor for the service, and is a reputable vendor with a good few decades of history in the city. So I'm willing to take that on trust at the very least.

With regards to the top right lug having some damage - could this potentially be a deal breaker? I know that nicks and dings are going to be commonplace on vintages, though the other two specimens in the city of the same watch primarily seem to have their damage primarily in the form of darkening/patination of the dial, and spotting on the dial/crystal.

5. cristos71 May 8, 2021

Sorry, but this is an awful looking watch- a bad redial and heavily worn, no damaged, gold capping. Even the strap is the wrong size being 20mm instead of the correct 18mm. Avoid!

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. nighthound May 8, 2021

There's a better quality one (though with water spots on the dial) for around ~$1500 USD from a reputable watchmaker - serviced and with original papers and box. Worth taking a shake at?

7. cristos71 May 8, 2021

Who knows? Pictures speak better than a thousand words....maybe it is also redialed or damaged or whatever else. The papers could be from another watch, the box could be from another decade....you get the idea I think :)