Forums Latest Members
  1. clintosity Mar 16, 2023

https://imgur.com/a/xAElbFl

Looking to buy this omega aqua terra. The serial number is 59467261. Wondering where I can crosscheck this serial to see it matches the model? Also is it a bad idea buying a 25 year old watch, is there anything I should look out for when buying it.

2. Annapolis Mar 16, 2023

We would need much better photos (closeups in focus) to give you any reassurance—this is a quartz model from the looks of it and easily and widely faked, so you’re right to be checking closely. I’d ask the seller to send better photos.

I’ve had some luck with the chat feature on Omega’s website getting the person on the other end to confirm that a serial corresponds to a model, but sometimes they won’t. And they won’t give you more info than that, most likely. Also confirming that the serial matches the model won’t confirm that it’s not a clone/fake.

For what it’s worth, I’d buy from a trusted seller—not some random person you don’t know who’s posted a listing on a website that provides no guarantees. This isn’t going to be a hard watch to find. The extra money you’ll pay doing this will be worth it for the peace of mind you’ll have. Even if you do post better pictures and we say it looks good, we can’t be 100% sure using this method, and there are plenty of other issues that could arise that we can’t prevent. When it comes to modern Omega watches, I’d always “buy the seller.”

3. Annapolis Mar 16, 2023

Re: a 25 year old watch, you’ll want to ask about its service history, but with a quartz model you should just get a new battery and get it properly pressure tested for water resistance.

There are people on this forum wearing watches that were built in the 1940s. Your 25-year-old is practically new round these parts.

I guess one thing that’s worth bearing in mind: the Aqua Terra 196.1114 (the reference you’re looking at) was 36mm. Not sure if you’re a man or a woman or what size wrist you have—I am a man with a medium size wrist and I think 36mm wears quite well, but it is on the small size by today’s trends in men’s watches. Current men’s Aqua Terra’s tend to be in the 38 to 41mm range. So understand if you buy this, it may be quite a bit smaller than you expect. (Maybe you’re already aware of this, but just in case.)

Edited Mar 16, 2023
    Yehoshua likes this.