Forums Latest Members

Legibility question: AT 8800 blue dial

1. cnjackson Aug 3, 2020

Hi All!,

I have my eye on the AT 38mm with the blue dial--a really lovely watch, which I am considering as a complement to my GS SGBR 315.

My question is whether anyone has had legibility problems with the AT. In many photos (e.g., on Instagram, etc.), the watch seems very legible. However, when I tried it out at an AD over the weekend, I was less sure. Maybe it was the lighting? (I know my pics are not very good--sorry!)

IMG_20200801_162833620.jpg IMG_20200801_165035948.jpg

What do you all think?

Thanks!

2. Pinmeuphere Aug 3, 2020

I’ve had this exact watch for a year and a half and I don’t notice any visibility issues. My vision is healthy so your mileage may vary. Visibility aside it’s a beautiful watch and will compliment your Seiko very well.

cnjackson likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 3, 2020

I I have the previous AT with the vertical lines and it’s actually one of the most legible watches I have even on low light. That said lime is poor to none but the hands are broad and capture the light.

cnjackson likes this.
  4. Bugbait Aug 4, 2020

Keep in mind that almost all ADs and OBs have super bright lighting that doesn't represent most conditions when you leave there. Well, unless your house is also filled with down lights from all angles.

cnjackson likes this.
  5. jeelan Aug 4, 2020

I had the same problem with the grey / brown dial version of the AT (8500 movt) where, at certain angles, the hands would pick up a darker reflection and disappear against the dark dial making them impossible to see..... at the moment i hv the Skyfall version and hv no issues with spotting the hands at a glance under any situation so far...

Strangely enough i had the same issue with hands on the current mode Rolex Datejust with the Rhodium dial when i was considering purchasing the DJ 41.....

Cheers
    Jeelan

cnjackson likes this.
  6. cnjackson Aug 4, 2020

Thanks, everyone! Very glad to know that, for you, legibility is not a real issue on this AT. The lighting in the AD was a little strange: I had a really hard time taking decent pics.

Thanks again!

7. Khamenman Aug 4, 2020

I am not an Aqua Terra owner, but I share your observation. I notice in many picts on IG, especially the blue AT, the hands often disappear. I have tried one on AD, although it doesn't really disappear, I find the legibility of the hands is not as good as GS

cnjackson likes this.
  8. cnjackson Aug 4, 2020

Hi Khamenman--Thanks for your post. You capture exactly what I've been wondering about. The hands do just seem to disappear in certain contexts (at least at the AD). And then in this case, the beautiful horizontal detailing of the dial actually seems to make the legibility even worse/less clear.

9. Khamenman Aug 4, 2020

In my opinion, it's not the horizontal detailing, but the fact that the dial has metallic color, so it reflects a lot of light. Unless it is silver sunburst dial, I personally prefer my dial not to have reflective/sunburst effect. That is what I like from GS. Most of their dial colors have subdue effects, although they also have reflective dial which of course I would avoid

10. cnjackson Aug 4, 2020

That's a good point. I wonder if the black dial has that same metallic shine? It's true about the GS--at least mine--the silver hands on silver dial even without lume are still unfailingly legible.

11. imranbecks Aug 9, 2020

It's probably the ridiculous lighting in the boutique. It can be pretty bright and the orange lighting coupled with reflections all over the place doesn't help. I've had my 8500 AT for 3 years now, never had any legibility issues when telling the time...

[​IMG]

AntonisCy likes this.