Forums Latest Members

Left Handed...do other people notice

1. tenvol98 May 18, 2021

Team,

Had a great response after my last post so wanted to discuss something I had been thinking about for the past couple days. I am lefty so I wear watch on my right hand. I know I am in the minority....so question to the broader group do you ever think anything is wrong when someone is wearing a watch on their right hand?

2. SkunkPrince May 18, 2021

No, just different.

Dries, DaveK and tenvol98 like this.
  3. Donn Chambers May 18, 2021

I think they are left handed. Since there’s nothing wrong with that, I don’t think there is anything wrong with them wearing their watch that way.

4. tenvol98 May 18, 2021

Haha appreciate this...got a laugh...

5. tenvol98 May 18, 2021

Quick follow up....that i wish I would have included do any lefties wear on left hand?

6. SkunkPrince May 18, 2021

I've seen some who do. My father was one. Er, "was" because he doesn't wear a watch anymore.

WhiteThorn likes this.
  7. Dan S May 18, 2021

I notice. But I don't say anything, because it's normal.

8. raclaims May 18, 2021

I’m a lefty and wear watches on my left wrist

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  9. vintage hab May 18, 2021

I notice and just think how difficult it must be to wind (without taking it off of course).
    I also wonder why you would wear it on the right. Does it impede writing to have the watch on? Or another reason?
    As a rightie, I wear my watch in my left simply because I was shown that way and always have worn it on the left.
    Hmmm… maybe I should switch to see if I can get used to it.

10. 64Wing May 18, 2021

Nothing wrong with it, but I do notice. Primarily just in case I need to anticipate combat with the individual. I know it's whacky, but that's what I think about on a daily basis. Good to know if their strong hand is opposite yours...

11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 18, 2021

Wearing on the right hand is pretty comfy, the crown sits better IMO

Scooterino36 likes this.
  12. Syzygy May 18, 2021

I'm a righty, have worn watches on both arms earlier in life, but found I knock it about more if it's on my dominant hand. I've pretty much settled on wearing it on the left arm since and do it now as routine and second nature.

Wear it right or left, no matter...but when you start to wear it on an ankle, that's when you've crossed the line of weird.

otoron, S.H. and DaveK like this.
  13. LuckyLes May 18, 2021

I'm left handed, and wear my watch on my left wrist. I have always done so, 70 now, so I guess I won't be changing.
    LuckyLes:)

raclaims likes this.
  14. gbesq May 18, 2021

I’m left handed and wear my watch on my right wrist. As all other left handers know, I am also a member of a secret society and our goal is nothing short of world domination. We are tired of having to use wrongly configured school desks and scissors as well as suffering a thousand other daily indignities in this right handed society. Right handers, you are on notice: your reign of terror will soon end and your right handed grade school children will be forced to write with their left hand!
    1037B850-B90F-4714-903A-7C0EBA2A9E40.jpeg

Edited May 19, 2021
    demollo, CdnWatchDoc, flw and 8 others like this.
  15. dazed1 May 19, 2021

Lefty here... I will actually alternate wrists throughout the day. Depends what I am doing. As a rule it stays mainly on my right.

16. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 19, 2021

I’m a righty and wear on my right wrist. I used to wear on my left wrist, however, my right wrist has a flatter top, which feels more accommodating to wear on vs the slight dome of my left wrist. Winding isn’t an issue as I wind the watch before wearing it. Pic to add visual interest
    EEAB2214-8D89-4CDE-A154-142A94684516.jpeg

DaveK likes this.
  17. Engee May 19, 2021

I’m a lefty and wear it on my right hand. I feel most watches are better designed for left handers actually.

I assume the convention is that the crown/buttons are on the right to make it easier to access them while wearing the watch, but I tend to think that facing out, as they do on the left hand, they are more vulnerable. Wearing a watch on the right hand protects them from knocks. Is there another reason for putting the buttons on the right side of the watch?

If I’m wearing a manual I wind it in the morning before putting it on, but if I ever need to wind it during the day, it’s no big deal to remove it. Usually, however, I wear an automatic so there no need to do anything. The crown and buttons rarely see any action so having them tucked up my sleeve seems a good thing.

Edited May 19, 2021
    DaveK likes this.
  18. S.H. May 19, 2021

:eek::D

You're in for a surprise more often than you think, a lot of lefties wear their watch on the the left, I wear mine on the right and I'm a rightie...

À lot of people don't wear watches anymore, not sure if the general public would care or even notice.

19. Rdelgao May 19, 2021

Interesting thread. I'm gonna make it a bit more difficult. Born leftly but educated to use right hand. Back in my childhood they thought that would make the kids life easier in the future. The result: a bit of a mess. That makes me officially ambidextrous but not exactly as cant use both hands for everything as one or the other side is only dominant for certain actions. I have been constantly swapping watch among sides looking for the best way not to mistreat watches with bumps and scratches fron wearing them in dominant hand. As said before both are dominant so this has never been succesful. Ended up using always in right hand, which I find more comfy because of crown position not leaning against a bended wrist and swap only to left hand with my manual winding watch for easier access to crown.

20. Rdelgao May 19, 2021

And sorry, with all the chatter I forgot to give my opinion on the title of the the thread. In my case yes, people do notice when wearing a watch on the left, I often get comments on that