Forums Latest Members

Leather strap size on speedmaster

1. Jfoord Mar 2, 2019

Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a speedmaster professional and it will be the first watch that I wear on a leather strap. I was wondering what the best strap size is for my 17cm wrist. Do my calculations below seem correct?

I would need 8.5cm on each side, including the watch so deducting 2.4cm (half the lug to lug length of the SMP) leaves 6.1cm on the short side for the strap, for the absolute minimum length to go around my wrist and have the watch in the middle of my wrist. Adding in required room for slack, maybe 7cm on the short side would be appropriate?

I like watches to fit relatively snug, so the head sits in the middle of my wrist, rather than towards the top (which I presume might happen if the short side is too short) or drop to the bottom if it's too long.

If anyone could suggest the ideal length that would be great.

Justin

2. gostang9 Mar 2, 2019

I would recommend 115mm and 75mm.

If you don’t want any extra tail outside of the keepers, then 110mm and 70mm could also work for you.

Jfoord likes this.
  3. Jfoord Mar 2, 2019

Thanks, 110/70 sounds good as I don't want too much tail. I'm used to using the microadjustment on my submariner so like to keep it fitting without too much room to move around.