Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve Essex Jun 26, 2020

Is it possible to have a leather strap repaired? My OE Speedmaster 57 strap didn’t last very long at all. Probably got 6 months use out of it (over 18 months in rotation with the bracelet). It was showing wear at the deployment end - both lug fittings are fine. I gave it a tug to check security and it just came apart. I thought I’d get a bit more use out of it considering the cost. Is this normal, if not, can anything be done to prevent a reoccurrence? Repair or replace and if repair, where?
    C8FEB969-A604-4D2F-B357-722E7EF404B8.jpeg

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 26, 2020

I’d think that a repair would require a patch of some sorts, which would look okay if it was going to be screen used on a Beverley Hillbillies reboot, but not so great on your speedy. Looks like the leather just rotted? I’d ask Omega what they think of this outcome.

Steve Essex likes this.
  3. Bugbait Jun 26, 2020

That's interesting wear given the condition of the rest of the band. Even when I abused the OEM band (alligator leather) on my De Ville (took it swimming many times) when it started to degrade the inner lining and the spring bar ends went well before the deployant side.

Do you have a job where you rub that particular section a lot on a table or something?

Mine showed some wear at the deployant end but it was still very functional when the other parts fell apart. Even with the abuse it lasted maybe 18 months or a bit longer.

Steve Essex likes this.
  4. Steve Essex Jun 26, 2020

Well, I work in a motor vehicle workshop and it’s never, ever been to work with me.

Edited Jun 26, 2020
  5. Steve Essex Jun 26, 2020

Lol. Yeah, it is strange considering the condition of the rest of the strap. Not only did it rip, it’s soft and oily so I suppose I must have contaminated it with something. It had gone a lot darker than hen I first bought it though so I suppose it’s time for a new one.

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 26, 2020

You might be right, some oil or something may have gotten on there, soaked in, and had a bit of a party. Well, it never hurts to let Omega know, they might have a QC issue they don’t know about.

7. tangfj Dec 15, 2020

I know this is an old thread but that strap is beyond repair IMO... I do leather work on the side and it looks like your strap may have been too thick at the lugs and not enough reinforcements... would be helpful to see the other side of the strap.