Forums Latest Members

Juvenia Ref. 9202 (New Arrival) "Blue Ellipse"

1. Mr.Cairo Feb 26, 2020

A while ago, I was looking for something similar to the Patek Golden Ellipse, particularly with a blue dial. I had shelved that search for several months, but recently decided to follow up a recommendation made by @Syrte and pulled the trigger on a NOS Juvenia on eBay.

Today it arrived, and here are some early photos:

IMG_3423.JPG IMG_3428.JPG IMG_3429.JPG

First impressions are good: the watch looks great. The (mineral?) glass is super reflective though, which makes it tricky to photograph the dial well. In use I have no problems reading time, however.

I baptised the watch "Blue Ellipse" for obvious reasons. The dial is a beautiful blue linen, the colour appearing to me like a slightly subdued Royal Blue. It's stunning in the sun, which doesn't translate to photos well.

Winding the movement feels stable, though not the smoothest wind, that may be partly due to its age. So far timekeeping seems OK, but I realize that if it hasn't been used at all since the 1970s it might be rather dry in there.

I have no idea what the movement is, by the way, but if I had to make a (poorly) educated guess, I'd say something A. Schild.

The case is all stainless steel and pretty neatly finished, with brushed and polished surfaces. I imagine these were not expensive watches back in the day (they certainly aren't now) so the level of finishing, while nothing to lose sleep over, was a nice surprise. The dial takes the cake though, and I wish I could take better photos of it, but its appeal can be expressed with a cliché: you'd have to see it yourself.

It's not a watch I will be wearing every day, though now that it's in my hands I could imagine it could well be a daily dressy piece: its blue dial plays equally well with daylight as it pairs with evening wear. It's size, while modest at 28mm diameter, is perfect for me. As is the case with most watches that are not round, it wears larger than its size suggests. It therefore has plenty of wrist presence but it is also thin enough to easily slip under a shirt cuff.

In my opinion, this is a watch that epitomizes the beauty and elegance of simplicity. It's minimalistic -- no minute markers, not even a second hand -- but at the same time its textured dial and elliptical shape catch the eye. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for reading :)

George.A, Spruce, ConElPueblo and 9 others like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 26, 2020

:thumbsup:Very nice, that blue linen dial looks great.

Mr.Cairo likes this.
  3. Mr.Cairo Feb 26, 2020

Cheers!

4. Vitezi Feb 26, 2020

Vintage blue dials are sweet! :thumbsup:

Mr.Cairo likes this.
  5. bubba48 Feb 26, 2020

Very nice ellipse!
    My "blue" says helo

juvenia (4).JPG

ConElPueblo, Vitezi, Mr.Cairo and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr.Cairo Feb 26, 2020

That wavy dial is stunning. I'd seen it on other Juvenias as well. Their dial game is not bad at all

7. KingCrouchy Feb 27, 2020

I'm not a fan on the ellipse shape, but this watch looks gorgeous.::love::

Mr.Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr.Cairo Apr 6, 2020

Edited Apr 7, 2020